Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Travel and Immigration Travel experiences and Immigration chat

Urgent : Temp SA passports banned into the UK

Old 20-04-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
FlyingBok
African Noise

Sad Urgent : Temp SA passports banned into the UK

I can only agree - we have a lot of problems ... next is the SA passport unless some serious changes are made (worst is the UK and US authorities do not pick up false SA passports ) - or not always ...

Quote:
To: XXXXXX XXX ( Airline Risk Management)
UK Immigration Service
Gatwick Airport Liaison Section

CESSATION OF ACCEPTABILITY OF SOUTH AFRICAN TEMPORARY PASSPORT

With effect from Wednesday 19 April 2006, South African temporary passports will no longer be recognised or be acceptable for travel to the United Kingdom.

Carriers bringing persons holding South African temporary passports to the United Kingdom without correct documentation or proper documents, including a valid visa where required, will render themselves liable for a charge of £2000 for each inadequately documented passenger carried under the provisions of Section 40 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

To minimise inconvenience to genuine travellers holding a South African temporary passport issued on or before the 19 April announcement date:

• those who purchased their ticket on or before 19 April will benefit from a maximum six weeks’ grace period and will be able to travel on their temporary passport providing they arrive in the UK before 1 June

• those who purchased their ticket between 20 April and 9 May and who will arrive in the UK before 10 May will also be able to travel on their temporary passport.

• a UK visa will be required for those who bought their ticket on or after 19 April and who travel between 10 and 31 May (arriving in the UK before 1 June) on their temporary passport. The visa will not be endorsed in the passport but on a Uniform Format Form.

• Holders of South African temporary passports issued after the cessation date (19 April) will not be able to use them for travel to the United Kingdom.

• No immigration endorsements will be placed in South African temporary passports after 19 April.

• Entry clearance or leave to remain endorsed in a South African temporary passport before 19 April will be honoured and accepted for travel to the UK.

• For those without acceptable travel documentation, in the event of emergency or exceptional and compassionate cases, there is the contingency of travel to the UK on a Uniform Format Form obtained and endorsed with a UK visa from a UK entry clearance post overseas.

You will no doubt wish to warn your officers, agents and retail outlets overseas of these changes immediately.

Should any of your staff, including check in staff abroad, need clarification in individual cases advice will be available from our dedicated port helpline: É [+44 relevant number]

HM Inspector
FlyingBok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
FlyingBok
African Noise

Sad

And the Media got the story (eventually)

Quote:
Mandy Rossouw, Beeld

London - The British government has not accepted any South Africans who want to enter Britain with temporary passports since Wednesday, said British immigration minister Tom McNulty on Wednesday.

McNulty said South Africans travelling to Britain on temporary passports would not be allowed into the country because of "concern about the efficiency of the process of issuing South African passports".

A period of grace will be given to South Africans who already have made travel arrangements.

They can travel to Britain until June 1 2006 and their temporary passports still will be accepted.

McNulty said that people with South African passports that had not been obtained through the right channels, were arrested regularly at airports.

The passports were found on people of different nationalities.

"It's our opinion that temporary passports do not sufficiently determine the identity and nationality or they do not comply with internationally accepted practice.

Visa regulations

"As a result, intelligence sources argue that these passports are easy targets for people of other nationalities who want to enter Britain illegally."

McNulty emphasised that South Africans were still welcome in Britain, but not without a full, valid passport.

According to the prevailing immigration rules, South Africans may come to Britain without a visa and stay for six months.

But, they can't do any work while they are in Britain.

If South Africans want to work in Britain, they have to get a work permit or a working-holiday visa before leaving South Africa.

This is the first time a full moratorium has been placed on the acceptance of passports in this way, said a British home office spokesperson.

He said temporary South African passports were misused mainly by people from other African countries, specifically South Africa's neighbouring states such as Zimbabwe.

"It has come to light that specifically South African passports are regularly misused.

"A while ago, the department identified a problem with these passports and, when we began looking more closely at them, we realised the problem was much greater than we'd thought."

Other people with temporary passports also can enter Britain until June 1 if they have obtained a valid visa from the British consulate before beginning their trip.

SA home affairs 'not aware' of ban :E

South African home affairs spokesperson Cleo Mosana said the department was not aware of the new arrangement.

"The British government has the right to decide what control measures are necessary in the interests of their safety.

"But the department of home affairs sees, as a priority, the integrity of the documents it issues and works unceasingly to achieve this goal," she said.
From News 24 dot com
Old 20-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Temporary passports have always ben too easy to obtain.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
alwayssmilin
Cheerful Charlie

SA Passports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp999
Temporary passports have always ben too easy to obtain.

Yes and so it goes. In the new SA you can pick up a pasport like you pick up a cold. You have all the Zimbabwe's going into SA, getting a temporary passport,(or a false one) coming into the UK and then WALA dissapearing. This has made it really bad for the honest South Africans seeking to come in and work to such an extent they are now looking at the VISA'S! I have heard that Johannesburg International (90%) of the time may not even been considered manned at all with the fraud taking place re these passports. To such an extent the UK may even place their on customs officials there to control the situation. The strangest thing is they want the workforce back and help the non workforce to get out!

Well what next? And this is serious the inocents who need to work here will be lost, they will raise the monies to get in and all will be lost.
alwayssmilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
FlyingBok
African Noise

Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmilin
To such an extent the UK may even place their on customs officials there to control the situation.
Just to give the facts : The UK immigration has been at JHB INternational Airport for many years (and for that matter throughout the world.)

They are calles ALO's (Airline Liason Officers) but they are senior (normally) UK immigration officers.

Just to get down to the nitty gritty. Remember as you can see in the letter directed to me, it is the Airline's responsibility to make sure all their passengers are correctly documented not the SA immigrations services as in this case.

If I can go into a little bit of depth it goes into levels ... my company checks level 3 which is for fraud under microscopes and other gadgets.

The airline must at least make sure the pax is correctly documented which means :

a. Has he / she got a valid passport.
b. Is the pax in front of you the passport holder.
c. Is the pax correctly documented to his destination.

SA is easy - no visa to the UK but the airline must make sure that the passport is not false.

A SA passport is very to see - of course if you know what you do !!

Yes we do I can add.

Cheers

Hope it help

Old 21-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
FB

Having flown out from the UK on many occasions from most of the main airports, I have never had my passport checked to ensure that I can travel to my required destination.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
FlyingBok
African Noise

Lightbulb

Quote:
FB

Having flown out from the UK on many occasions from most of the main airports, I have never had my passport checked to ensure that I can travel to my required destination.
I emphasised the word OUT as it is OUT of the UK ... the UK do not care with anybody leaving.

They saved 38% in personnel but not checking passports when you leave.

As a matter of interest - random checks are made (just before security at LGW for instance).

And more info ... if you fly to East / West / North Africa - your flight will be checked at the gate (or in the tube to the door).

a. Immigration for overstayers (past there Visa expiry date) and ...

b. Customs to check for cash on flights ...

So I say again my previous post is for flights INTO the UK (and Europe).

Last matter of interest - we get fined 2 000 pound per illegal pax and deportee charges (loads)
Schengen is to a max of 5 000 Euro ..

I have deported 32 illegals this month so far (9 to the UK)
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:
FB

Have you never been requested to produce your passport when checking in????
Every single time I have flown, the check in desk has always, without fail requested passports along with the ticket.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
FlyingBok
African Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
Have you never been requested to produce your passport when checking in????
Every single time I have flown, the check in desk has always, without fail requested passports along with the ticket.
Hi SPAM,

Long time ..

I pressume he means after check in as every airline is oblidged even at check in to check if the pax is documented.

In the rough areas - we do it next to them and they can concentrate on the ticketing, seating and lugguage.

Take care

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration