Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Travel and Immigration Travel experiences and Immigration chat

SA holding British passports

Old 18-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
alwayssmilin
Cheerful Charlie

SA holding British passports

I am flying to SA for a months holdiday and nobody at SA Consolute seems to be alive!

Will I be allowed to enter and leave on my British Passport if I was born in SA? I do not hold a SA passport? People are telling me I will not be allowed in, will have to pay a R3000 fine, they do not allow visitors in or what.

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks
alwayssmilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
John01

Alwayssmiling, how did you acquire your British Citizenship?
Not holding a SA passport is not relevant to the entry rules; they are based around whether you hold SA citizenship.(i.e.. SA citizenship may be automatically lost by naturalisation as a citizen of another country, without first seeking permission from the SA authorities)
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
alwayssmilin
Cheerful Charlie

passport

I got my British passport through my fathers birth here. I have been told by a friend that when her son arrived at Johannesburg he was not allowed entry with his portugese passport as he was born in SA. I did not ask permission to leave 8 years ago just left on British passport. I have been back since and had no problems but am worried now as my friend says I have to get an emergency passport!
alwayssmilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
AS have you been back yet? If not, don't you still have a South African passport? You could just use that!!
Anyway, you aquired your British passport by descent, so don't lose your SA citizenship.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
gareth

I seem To be in Same boat. I was born in SA. Have a Britsh passport and No SA passport. I have 2 weeks b4 my flight. I have dual nationality threw parents. Will i be able top get my SA passport that side in SA. or will i be disallowed access to SA ? ive been in SA once 9 montsh ago on britsh passport ona temp visa..

Thx for any help
gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
aaliceinw

Last blog entry: Fri, 2009-02-13 07:18
As far as I am aware, once you hold a British passport you are allowed to travel to and from any country where the passport is valid. For entrance to South Africa, the visa is given at the airport on arrival.

However because of recent tension between the two countries, always get the most update to date information prior to traveling.

You will find it much more difficult to get a first time entrance visa at the land borders such as Mozambique though.

If you have any questions, since you are wishing to travel on a British passport to come into SA, rather contact either the British High Commission in Pretoria or find out what is required before you travel from Home Affairs in the UK.

Hope this helps for future travelers.
aaliceinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
I seem To be in Same boat. I was born in SA. Have a Britsh passport and No SA passport. I have 2 weeks b4 my flight. I have dual nationality threw parents. Will i be able top get my SA passport that side in SA. or will i be disallowed access to SA ? ive been in SA once 9 montsh ago on britsh passport ona temp visa..

Thx for any help
Gareth Hi

If you were born in South Africa, then you should enter and leave South Africa with an SA passport. There are many people who have had no problems getting in and out, however, but there are no guarentees that you wont have problems with the authorities.

Sorry
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration