Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Travel and Immigration Travel experiences and Immigration chat

Disaster for Ancestry Candidates for ILR

Old 14-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
alvonhumb

While thinking on this the word "target" also came to my mind. I work in a local government environment where you have to meet the figures to show you're doing the job.

IND?:

Absolute failure on illegal immigration and immigration policy in general; AV holders - very good records available, a vulnerable group who have no clout; Nail them and include them in the next report.

Well Ok, I'm still annoyed, and one good conspiracy theory is as good as another.

Joking aside, the HO has attacked a defenceless group. Sad thing is that any victory to Charles Clarke by eliminating AV migration is going to mean absolutely nothing to the UK. We don't have any claim to public funds, must be contributing (working) to qualify, and generally identify with UK/European values. Seems like a good deal to Uk society to me. HO bureaucrats don't seem to agree.
alvonhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
kimbo

I think I am going to approach my MP, who is a conservative MP,. While I know the Conservatives are hammering the state of immigration at the mo, I am hoping that he will be pleased to 'expose' the real state of the system such as allowing illegals to stay, but those who are paying taxes and have no recourse to funds, are being used as scapegoats!
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #13
John01

The ancestry visa is intended to be a route to citizenship / permanent residence. It would be unconscionable for the Government to legislatively remove this qualified right from those who have been granted ancestry visas and entered the U.K. To do so would lay the Government wide open to challenge by way of Judicial Review; additionally opposition parties would be quick to use such a situation for political gain.

My belief is that the purpose of the new rules is to seek better administrative control over the visa regime. The chances of complete removal of ancestry visas is small, as the holders of such visas are generally economically active and have a close connection with the U.K.; a net loss would result.
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 06:01 AM   #14
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyW
I am being my usual confused self here, but since when was it 4 and 1? I applied for my ILR 3 months prior to the end of my fourth year here.
I don't understand what this changes and if you already hold the Ancest Visa how do you "get" another year?
So you are on 4+1... you we able to apply for ILR on the basis of completing a 4 year stay, they allow you to apply 3 months before the time so that your visa does not expire before ILR is granted, then if I'm not mistaken after a further year you may apply for citizenship.....total 5 years.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
alvonhumb

...if the rules aren't changed again in the interim.

Although the GB boards seem to be fairly uninterested in this matter (maybe ther aren't many here on Av who will be affected by the new rules?) here is a link to a site where people appear to be getting organised for protest on the retrospective nature of the HO proclamation.

Protest against retrospective application of new immigration rules
alvonhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 01:31 AM   #16
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

As tough as it maybe, there is little that can be done to change this. Immigration reforms are on the cards and this is just one of them. At least the option of ILR and citizenship is still there albeit a year longer. The question is how important is it to stay here in the UK.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
As tough as it maybe, there is little that can be done to change this. Immigration reforms are on the cards and this is just one of them. At least the option of ILR and citizenship is still there albeit a year longer. The question is how important is it to stay here in the UK.
Spam

Thats the way I read it, it isn't exactly disaster as it is simply extended by a year. I have been here 10 years and am only now applying for citizenship as it was not that important before.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #18
sunny
Skies and Chevrolet

I think they should also be focusing on those who aquire citizenship by means of a working visa and then push off. They should lose that citizenship if they are out of the country for more than X number of years .. people with ancestry here .. should be on a shorter time limit before applying for ILR than those who have no ancestry
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration