Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Southern Africa Live and Travel in Southern Africa

South African Citizenship Amendment Act, 2004

Old 05-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #91
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Wadders your information is correct, by law you cannot enter SA with your British passport, you should have an SA passport. However, you may or may not have problems upon arrival, many others have been in the same situation as you and have been allowed to enter and it is unlikely that you will have a problem, but not definite.
It is also too late to get a SA passport arranged at this late stage.
Have you tried calling home affairs in SA, rather than SA house in London?
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #92
TheDuck
Quack

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-06-14 13:19
my apologies wadders

From a theoretical point of view .. you have a British passport and are travelling to South Africa. Any person travelling on a UK passport should not have any problems. That is the norm I was speaking of.

mcamp .. apologies .. if he has never had an SA passport surely he is able to travel to SA on a UK passport without hassles?

Would you clarify the situation, please?
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #93
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck
my apologies wadders

From a theoretical point of view .. you have a British passport and are travelling to South Africa. Any person travelling on a UK passport should not have any problems. That is the norm I was speaking of.

mcamp .. apologies .. if he has never had an SA passport surely he is able to travel to SA on a UK passport without hassles?

Would you clarify the situation, please?
If he is born in South Africa, he should enter and exit SA on his SA passport. But as he is one of many in a similiar situation, I do know that many have gone through without many problems, but there is still always the chance!!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #94
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

The question is whether or not his birth was registered with SA authorities and whether his parents had permanent residence at the time of his birth.
Basically, as he was born in SA he will in all likelihood have been registered and will be a SA citizen requiring a SA passport.
His UK citizenship is of no relevance as it was acquired by descent, not by application and naturalization/registration.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #95
wadders

i was born and would think i was registered out there, and lived there for 24 years and i still have my id book with the 13 digit id number, so i think i am classed as a saffer, the end of the day i aint too fussy whether i enter on my s.a passport or my british one, but i just want to cover all the possibilities before i get on a plane to s.a and get arressted when i get there!!!!!!!!!!!

i have an appointment at the consul to get my s.a passport and tempory passport on the 11 of october, do you think i will have enough time????????

has anyone got any tips on what i should take with me and what relevant doc's i will need to make it go as smooth as possible?????????????????????

P/s - Thanks for all the advice
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #96
John01

A passport is mere evidence of who you are and to which country you belong. To determine who you belong to, it is necessary to examine the guiding principles upon which citizenship is determined to help decide what nationality(s) you may hold. Most countries use a mixture of birth and descent to determine whether you are a citizen of theirs. If the country in question decides that you belong to it, then they are able to require that you comply with its travel requirements as applicable to their citizens while on their soil. (it is entirely possible to enter a county where your only connection is the birth of a distant ancestor, yet upon examination the authorities decide you are a citizen)

Therefore holding a British Passport as a British Citizen by descent while being born in SA is strongly indicative that you are both British and South African and therefore required to enter and leave SA on a SA passport.

In reality, if you do not receive your SA temporary passport in time, carrying proof that you have applied for a SA passport (especially with the current lengthy delays) places you in a position where it is only a VERY remote possibility that you will have trouble with the authorities. My concern would be for you to be misfortunate enough to encounter a immigration office who rigidly applied the law. If this were to happen, you must remain calm and ask to speak to a senior immigration official, show proof that you have made all reasonable efforts to comply with the law and it is very likely that you will be sent on your way.
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #97
wadders

hi there guys, like i said i have managed to get an appointment for wednesday the 11th of october, so we shall see,

does anyone know which forms i need for a full passport and a tempory passport??? and also what documents will help the application go smoothly!!!!

Thanks!!!! :worthy:
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #98
ausaffer

Sorry to bring the old thread back up, but I'm extremely confused on this matter.

We did not complete the forms for dual citizenship, and acquired a foreign citizenship, this means that we're automatically eligible for loss of SA citizenship. Does this mean we can travel to SA with Australian passports, and not expect any dramas?

Also, do minors under the age of 18 automatically qualify for loss of SA citizenship if naturalized along with their parents? or are they still able to use their SA passports as per normal?

One more thing, how will South Africa actually know that someone has acquired another citizenship without their permission? what if you just lie and say that you haven't? they have no way of checking?

Thanks
ausaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #99
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaffer
Sorry to bring the old thread back up, but I'm extremely confused on this matter.

We did not complete the forms for dual citizenship, and acquired a foreign citizenship, this means that we're automatically eligible for loss of SA citizenship. Does this mean we can travel to SA with Australian passports, and not expect any dramas?

Also, do minors under the age of 18 automatically qualify for loss of SA citizenship if naturalized along with their parents? or are they still able to use their SA passports as per normal?

One more thing, how will South Africa actually know that someone has acquired another citizenship without their permission? what if you just lie and say that you haven't? they have no way of checking?

Thanks
First of all, minors under 18 will not lose their citizenship. Second of all, they will only find out that you have acquired Aussie nationality if you apply for a renewal of your passport in Australia. They will require you to get a letter from the Aussie authorities stating that you have not applied for citizenship.

If you renewed your passport in the UK for example, you would have to provide a letter fom the UK authorities stating that you have not applied for citizenship, which you could get and you would be able to renew your passport, or you could do it in SA as well.

Are your SA passports still valid? If so, you can use them and nobody would know. In theory though, you have lost your SA citizenship, yes.
Old 26-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #100
ausaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp999

Are your SA passports still valid? If so, you can use them and nobody would know. In theory though, you have lost your SA citizenship, yes.
Ok, thanks for the advice, that's pretty much what I had in mind, it's good to know that I haven't lost my citizenship (under 18), now that I'm also an Australian citizen.

The passports have expired, yes. My father used his Australian passport to travel to SA the other day, and didn't run into any dramas, so I assume it's okay to travel on it if you automatically lost your citizenship, then.

I also read somewhere previously that people under 21 years of age are able to use their Australian passport for example, to travel to SA. Can anyone clarify this? do minors lose their citizenship, ever, if they were under 18 at the time of naturalization in a foreign nation?

Also, travelling on your SA passport to SA, when returning to AU, do I need some kind of certificate to prove I'm a citizen? or what's the process?

Thanks
ausaffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Southern Africa