GlobalBuzz-SA

Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Banter and ALL From light hearted Chat

Sorry , this 'un 's not about Holy Rugby ...

Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Ray
Type of Ray

Sorry , this 'un 's not about Holy Rugby ...

However , if any SAffers care to respond , I'd be truly grateful for any comments on :
1 ) are the SethEffrikenz still leaving , to OZ/NZ/U.K./Canada/wherever to..as they appeared to be leaving , in the recent 10-7-5-3 years ?
2 ) what might it cost , in any currency you prefer , to live "O.K." in Cape Town nowadays ( presuming a paid-up house + paid-up car ; I researched Discovery health and other similar nuissances already ) ?
3 ) how IS the medical system coping ? ( What's the current latest medicaments' availability like ? )
4 ) any additional comments : warmly wellcomed !
Cheerz ,
R.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Ray Hi

There are still some Saffers leaving, although the exodus is nothing like it used to be, it is more the younger ones who are going off on work experience/gap years etc. although many don't seem to stay like they used to and return home after a while, in fact only this week, two families that I know in Cambridge just told us they were returning back to SA.

To live comfortably in Cape Town at present, and income of say R20,000 per month would give you a very comfortable life, assuming you own your own property.

You would not want to rely on the SA medical Govt service, and would definitely want to get private medical aid. This is usually very costly, depending on any existing medical conditions etc. and I would get a few quotes from some companies over there

This is one site that might help http://www.medicalaid.info/
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Ray
Type of Ray

Thanks for the advice !

A lady we know , has been thinking of going back as a retired person ;
she is 60 and has been living outside RSA for 20 years ;
besides the obvious - crime - concerns , she is also worried that even with good private medical cover ( like e.g. Discovery ) , certain medicines she is used to , may not be available in RSA at all . Now , most people easily dismiss such themes as "nonsense" and yet : upon close investigation and very direct questioning , she has found out that even here in Europe , the availability of many medicaments varies considerably and there is any number of specific examples of that . An EU-pensioner in , say : Spain , is entitled to totally FREE care and prescription medicines - sounds attractive , until it is confirmed that certain well-known treatments are not on the approved list of that country and can not be had at all , not free and not for cash , either ! O.K. so then she could quickly visit a GP in France or Benelux and get prescriptions and actual drugs , to last her , say , 6 months ...still not ideal solution , for anyone with more serious health issues , I say .
That's where the query about her going to the fairest Cape gets unstuck , for now - unless she makes a proper investigative "look-see-ask-decide" trip first...
Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Agreed Ray, it is vital that all this information is checked beforehand, pre-existing conditions will, of course, also affect the premiums or may not be covered at all which would affect her ability to relocate.

I would imagine that all medication is available at a cost, in SA but the 6 month option seems the best to me.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Ray
Type of Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp999 View Post
I would imagine that all medication is available at a cost, in SA ...
Well , like myself : you might yet be surprised - most of us , laymen , expect that the medicaments would be available and yet , many such drugs have not been approved for distribution and use in many a country , even of the so-called "1st World" ; there's many such examples to hand , the ones that come to mind instantly are Bonviva ( osteoporosis treatment ) or zolmitriptan injections ( self -administered , helping severest migraines ) ...
- then the patient might need , 1st of all , the permission of Ministry of Health to import one's own , which import - IF it can be justified to Ministry's satisfaction - could also be subject to all sorts duties and taxes .
As for the actual cost of modern drugs : look just at how many Brits eventually have to return from Oz and NZ and U.S. , after many happy years and against their real choce , once they get a serious illness ( and so it all ends in tears , even before MRSA gets them , on British Isles ! )

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL