Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Southern Africa Live and Travel in Southern Africa

South African Citizenship Amendment Act, 2004

Old 07-09-2006, 07:04 AM   #81
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatToDoNow
Seems like the guys in Canberra does it in about 4 - 8 weeks. Not bad turnaround for a SA goverment organisation. (The date on the certificate is 2 weeks before I actually received it by registered post and the Australia post is not that bad - so maybe it was lying in an "out" box somewhere).

It won't affect me now personally, but I am still not sure if you can visit south africa on a foreign passport if you automatically lost your south african citizenship (and you didn't renounce your citizenship).
Theoretically, as your citizenship is void, using a foreign passport will not be an issue...the problem creeps in as immigration in SA has NO knowledge of that, neither does Home Affairs. This is the problem with the system. The only indicators that they have are when you apply for a new SA passport and they then see you have acquired foreign nationality....or you tell them if asked..... or you renounce citizenship. Either way, I would travel with a copy of your UK citizenship certificate in the event you are stopped, that at least will prove that you are to travelling in breach of SA Law as documented or not, the acquisition would affect your SA citizenship status.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #82
Picapeixe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
First things first.....you did not acquire British citizenship, you had it from birth, you did not obtain UK citizenship through any act, it is your birthright and has no impact on your SA Citizenship Status. If you were born in SA, were registered as a SA citizen then you have the right to a South african passport and can apply for such on the proviso that one /both parents either are South african or were in possession of a permanent residence permit at the time of your birth. If you meet the criteria for SA citizenship, particularly under the amendements made to the Citizenship Act, entering SA MUST be done on a South African passport.
What I would suggest you do is complete a "Determination of SA Citizenship Form" BI-529 (http://www.southafricahouse.com/migration/bi-529e.pdf)
and submit it. This will allow you to determine your status in the view of SA Home affairs. Should your citizenship be confirmed then you will have to apply for a SA passport should you wish to return to SA at any time and remain within the Law.
Hope this is of assistance.
Thank you for most helpful reply. I did submit a "Determination of SA Citizenship Form" 3 weeks ago - but no reply yet.
Obtaining a SA passport does not seem to be either quick or easy; I am hoping to visit SA on holiday toward the end of this year - you may not wish to answer this but will I really be in trouble if I try to enter SA on a UK passport? (I get the impression that the immigration officials take - or used to take - a relaxed view of this).
Picapeixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #83
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

I would not hold my breath waiting for responses. I recently applied for a passport for my son. Childrens applications are normally quicker as they do not go through the fingerprint checking process, however the application still took around 4 months.

As to entering SA on your UK passport.....I will not say you are looking for trouble, nor will I say you have nothing to worry about....all I can do is advise on what SA law prescribes. As I said earlier, if you have acquired foreign citizenship through application without a section 6 then take a copy of your citizenship approval and tell them , if asked, that you understand that in doing so your have lost SA citizenship and therefore are not entitled to travel on a SA passport.
Also bear in mind, was such an application made as a minor, then a section 6 was not required.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #84
wadders

Red face

Hi there guys, i wonder if anyone can help with my specific issue, what i read so far has helped clarify a few things.

I have a british passport and moved from S.a to england 3 years ago. but i have heard that i need my S.A passport to enter and leave S.a now!!!

Problem is i am flying out to S.A on the 22nd of October2006 but i dont have a S.a passport and never had one! i am stressing out about what to do!! i have tried to call South Africa house and cant get to speak to anyone and the automated service is not helpfull!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #85
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders
Hi there guys, i wonder if anyone can help with my specific issue, what i read so far has helped clarify a few things.

I have a british passport and moved from S.a to england 3 years ago. but i have heard that i need my S.A passport to enter and leave S.a now!!!

Problem is i am flying out to S.A on the 22nd of October2006 but i dont have a S.a passport and never had one! i am stressing out about what to do!! i have tried to call South Africa house and cant get to speak to anyone and the automated service is not helpfull!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Wadders, on what basis did you acquire your British citizenship?
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #86
wadders

hi there, i acquired my British citizenship by decent i think...........my parent are both british but i was born out there and lived out there for 24 years.

something else that may seem interesting, its says on my passport that i am a british citizen but says my birth place is "vanderbijlpark" which is in S.A!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #87
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders
hi there, i acquired my British citizenship by decent i think...........my parent are both british but i was born out there and lived out there for 24 years.

something else that may seem interesting, its says on my passport that i am a british citizen but says my birth place is "vanderbijlpark" which is in S.A!
Wadders, I can only refer you to Spam's original answer

''Originally Posted by spam
First things first.....you did not acquire British citizenship, you had it from birth, you did not obtain UK citizenship through any act, it is your birthright and has no impact on your SA Citizenship Status. If you were born in SA, were registered as a SA citizen then you have the right to a South african passport and can apply for such on the proviso that one /both parents either are South african or were in possession of a permanent residence permit at the time of your birth. If you meet the criteria for SA citizenship, particularly under the amendements made to the Citizenship Act, entering SA MUST be done on a South African passport.
What I would suggest you do is complete a "Determination of SA Citizenship Form" BI-529 (http://www.southafricahouse.com/migration/bi-529e.pdf)
and submit it. This will allow you to determine your status in the view of SA Home affairs. Should your citizenship be confirmed then you will have to apply for a SA passport should you wish to return to SA at any time and remain within the Law.
Hope this is of assistance.''
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #88
wadders

See the thing is i know now i need a S.a passport but i aint going to have enough time to get it sorted before i go, i cant even get to speak to anyone at south africa house to make a appointment!!! i have sent several emails to make an appointment but i have had no reply!!

i am running round in circles and dont know what to do or who to call!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #89
TheDuck
Quack

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-06-14 13:19
You can travel on your British passport to South Africa, you shouldn't have any problems.

Where do you envisage you may have problems?
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #90
wadders

im confused now, so where are you getting your infomation from???????? the consulant and south africa house say i do need my S.a passport!!

wat nou????????????????

could someone please confirm for sure!!!

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Southern Africa