Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Southern Africa Live and Travel in Southern Africa

South African Citizenship Amendment Act, 2004

Old 03-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #21
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally posted by Pam M
is it now completely impossible for me (since I have already applied for my Naturalisation) to retain my SA passport???
No, if you were born in SA you can claim SA citizenship, should you return, but then you will lose your UK citizenship, that is the way I understand it, Pam
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 PM   #22
Joan
Walk on By

spam and I must have posted at the same time...

spam, a very good friend of mine had dual citizenship way back in the 80's. She is a born and bred Saffer, in fact still lives there, she married a Brit in SA and became a UK citizen... how was that possible then?
I never asked her as I did not really want to pry at the time.
She has since divorced this man, they were married for almost 25 years, so she did not marry him to have UK citizenship...

I am totally clueless when it comes to these things, as you can clearly see...
Old 03-11-2004, 07:46 PM   #23
Pampered
Planet Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan
No, if you were born in SA you can claim SA citizenship, should you return, but then you will lose your UK citizenship, that is the way I understand it, Pam
Ahh, I see! Thanks Joan!
Pampered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #24
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:
No, that is incorrect, you will not lose your UK citizenship unless you decide to renounce it or it is withdrawn by the Minister responsible for Home Affairs, the latter virtually improbable.
I have no idea where that concept may have come from but it is totally incorrect.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 PM   #25
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally posted by spam
No, that is incorrect, you will not lose your UK citizenship unless you decide to renounce it or it is withdrawn by the Minister responsible for Home Affairs, the latter virtually improbable.
I have no idea where that concept may have come from but it is totally incorrect.
spam, I seem to recollect that this was asked on VS long ago and that one of the ladies there gave that reply.

I do speak under correction.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:57 PM   #26
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:
spam, I seem to recollect that this was asked on VS long ago and that one of the ladies there gave that reply.

I do speak under correction.
No, once you have British citizenship it is yours for life barring the two aforementioned circumstances.

Loss of British Citizenship
There are several ways of losing the various forms of British nationality. All categories of British nationality can be renounced by a declaration made to the Secretary of State. Renunciations made to other authorities are invalid: e.g. a general renunciation made upon taking up U.S. citizenship. Furthermore, there are provisions for the resumption of British citizenship etc. renounced for the purpose of gaining another citizenship. This can generally only be done once.

British subjects (other than British subjects by virtue of a connexion with British Ireland) and British protected persons will lose their British nationality upon acquiring any other form of nationality, whether British, Commonwealth or foreign.

Under the recent Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002, British nationals can be deprived of their citizenship if the Secretary of State is satisfied they are responsible for acts seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom or an Overseas Territory. This will only apply to dual nationals, as it will not be possible if the deprival would result in the person's statelessness.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:03 PM   #27
Joan
Walk on By

Thanks for this info spam
Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #28
Pampered
Planet Mom

Thanks for that Spam!
Pampered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:31 PM   #29
berlyn

Wink

Please could someone help me ?!?!?

We just applied for sa residency retention and have been on indefinite leave to remain for over a year now, and it is on hubbys side we are on ancestral, does he have to become a citizen and then myself and the kids naturalise after or can we all be done, and also is naturalise and citizenship the same thing ---- Im really confused thanks
berlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:00 AM   #30
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:
Originally posted by berlyn
Please could someone help me ?!?!?

We just applied for sa residency retention and have been on indefinite leave to remain for over a year now, and it is on hubbys side we are on ancestral, does he have to become a citizen and then myself and the kids naturalise after or can we all be done, and also is naturalise and citizenship the same thing ---- Im really confused thanks
I am not sure who holds the UK citizenship here or if both are on ancestral visas!. With regard to the children, if still minors they do not naturalize but become registered as British Nationals and do so on the strength of, and on the same application form as the adult applicant.

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Southern Africa