Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Southern Africa
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Southern Africa Live and Travel in Southern Africa

South African Citizenship Amendment Act, 2004

Old 19-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #41
Curio
Wherefore Art Thou

My daughter is S. African but only has a British passport as it made things easier for her when she decided to go & "try it out" in England.
My question is if & when she decides to return to S.A will she have a problem? She does have a S.A identity document but not a S.African passport. If a person is born in S.A surely they cannot lose their citizenship!!!

Any help/advice about this would be much appreciated.
Curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #42
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curio
My daughter is S. African but only has a British passport as it made things easier for her when she decided to go & "try it out" in England.
My question is if & when she decides to return to S.A will she have a problem? She does have a S.A identity document but not a S.African passport. If a person is born in S.A surely they cannot lose their citizenship!!!

Hi Curio
No one cannot "lose" your SA citizenship if you were born there, but you will have to forfeit your UK citizenhip ( in her case) as the SA government does not allow dual citizenship unless one has applied and received a section 6 letter from the SA government.

If one uses a non SA passport, you are not deemed a SA citizen anymore.

Do pm spam, I am sure he will be able to give more information.
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #43
Curio
Wherefore Art Thou

Thank you for the reply Joan. I've been a bit concerned about this so hope my daughter wont have any problems when she does return.
Old 19-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #44
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Thank you for the reply Joan. I've been a bit concerned about this so hope my daughter wont have any problems when she does return.
If you mean "return" on a visit, she should not have any problems, as long as her passport is well in date!!!.............

Take care!!
Old 19-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #45
spam
PoyseidonAdventure

Quote:

South African citizens are now required by law to enter and depart SA on a South African passport. I do not know how she comes to have the UK passport but for her to enter SA as a South African Citizen then she is obliged to use a SA passport.
spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #46
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
South African citizens are now required by law to enter and depart SA on a South African passport. I do not know how she comes to have the UK passport but for her to enter SA as a South African Citizen then she is obliged to use a SA passport.
I knew spam would be able to answer all these questions....
Old 19-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #47
Curio
Wherefore Art Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam
Spam, I was born in the U.K, so she is entitled to a British passport. If she had to go to the U.K on a S.African passport then she would've had to get a visa (or so we were told). Thought this way would be less troublesome for her.

Thanks for your posting. Much appreciated.
Old 19-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #48
Curio
Wherefore Art Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
If you mean "return" on a visit, she should not have any problems, as long as her passport is well in date!!!.............

Take care!!
Joan, I am hoping that she wont have any problems if she does decide to return to S.A for good.

As you know she left for the U.K after finishing school a couple of years ago.
Old 19-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #49
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Joan, I am hoping that she wont have any problems if she does decide to return to S.A for good.
Curio, cross that barrier when she comes to it.
We applied for a section 6 to remain SA citizens, once you are back in SA there are different rules, etc.
I do not know whether she plans on returning to SA permanently in the future, but that is a problem for the future. I will find the website for you.
Old 19-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #50
Joan
Walk on By

According to the South Africa House website, the letter from the Home Office shouldn't be older than 3 months old. So, you can get it all done ahead of time, but when you apply for your section 6, your letter from the Home Office shouldn't be too old.

This was posted by LG on the Voetsek website not too long ago, she lost her SA citizenship due to non compliance of the section 6

Have a look at the SA house website

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Southern Africa