Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Banter and ALL From light hearted Chat

Cadac Skottel Braais

Old 13-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Bean of Love
Teddie Love

Cadac Skottel Braais

It has really been a while since I last posted... life has become a little hectic of late!

We are in the process of moving again.... I have found my dream house... ok let me put it this way.. my dream house for my current budget!

I still have a garage full of stuff I brough over from South Africa. I fear to go near, but soon I won't have a choice. I will be doing the big clean and chuck out, so many charity shops will be VERY happy!

Amongst the stuff in there, I still have a Cadac Skottel Braai and the gas cylinders. Does anybody know where I can get gas for this or should I just visit th nearest rubbish dump? I am sure I recall that the type of patio heater gas they have here doesn't burn hot enough or something to that effect. Also... if I can get gas ...where do I go to fill the bottles???
Bean of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Venus
Jewel of the Sky

I do remember hearing something about the gas in UK being different to the gas in SA. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

It's good to have you back, Beanie. All the best with your new home. Have there been any changes/improvements with your job? I remember that you weren't very happy. And how is your little one?
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Bean of Love
Teddie Love

Hi Venus.... thank you for asking.

I have been in my new job for the last 3 months and loving it most of the time. HTe salary is a lot less to what I had, but I would rather have less money and more peace in my heart than all the money in the world and wanting to jump off the building the whole time!

As for the house... we are hoping to get 2 offers in tonight, so cross finger, hold thumbs etc!

As for my little man.... sheesh he has gorwn so much. He is now 17 months old and has a real feisty personality! He is currently cutting teeth so it can be a bit trying.... he still isn't walking so we are taking him to a orthopaedic paediatrician soon... just to make sure. He is constantly babbeling and has now decided to call ducks GUCKS...so all in all things are going well

We are also going to SA for a holiday in November..... so I have loads to look forward to.

How are you settling in over the pond? Has your little one settled better now... I remember him not being very happy inititally....
Bean of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
TheDuck
Quack

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-06-14 13:19
It has been a while Beanie

grand to hear about all the good news and excitement of going to SA

TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Beanie, I believe you can get an adaptor for it, but the gas here is not quite the same, it doesn't burn as hot or some such thing. If you decide to dispose of it, rather let me know.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Pronkertjie
Warm at Heart

Last blog entry: Wed, 2007-08-01 13:50
Norge

Hi Beanie

Can't help you with your gas question..... just want to say welcome back.

Glad you are doing better in your new job! Can't believe your little man is so old already!!

Pronkertjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Venus
Jewel of the Sky

Beanie, I'm glad you've found a much happier job. I can't believe your son is 17 months old already - how time flies! :eek: It doesn't seem that long ago you told us you were pregnant. I wouldn't worry too much about him not walking yet. All children progress at their own pace.

Enjoy the excitement of getting ready to go to SA.

My little one is doing better, thanks. The key for both of us settling in is learning the language.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
alcap998

We have a gas place around the corner from us in Cambridge. Whilst they said that they couldn't fill the bottle up because of the fittings they would be able to provide us with one of their own gas bottles with an appropriate fitting for the skottel braai. Not sure if this will work as I haven't been back yet.

I would suggest you make such enquiries around your area first before disposing of it.
alcap998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
zebras

The SA Skottle is designed to work on SA spec LPG which is 50/50 mix of propane and butane with a vapour pressure at 20C of about 450 kPa.

In the UK you can buy either propane or butane which have almost identical calorific values per kg and the flame temperatures in air are almost identical, the major difference is the vapour pressure at 20C and the boiling point.

Propane = 700 kPa and BP -45C
Butane = 200 kPa and BP 0C

Butane cyls in the UK have a variety of valves fitted and the cyl used with the Skottel here is the Campingaz self sealing fitted with an adapter valve.
This is the problem as the butane has insufficient pressure for the Skottel to work as designed and as temps drop the problem gets worse - @10C the vapour pressure drops to 50 kPa and at 0C = zilch

I fill my own Cadac cyls with propane using a filling rig which I brought from SA, recently filled some Cadac cyls for a friend of ours which had previously been filled with butane by Calor and the guys were amazed at the difference

Propane cyls in the UK have the same valve as SA industrial cyls - 5/8th BSP LH thread. In SA there is an attachment for these cyls called a shoulder stand available from good gas stores which should work on UK cyls and would solve your problem.

Have seen low pressure stems/conversions for Skottels available but have had no experience with these but doubt if they would work
zebras is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL