Citizens abroad to get the right to vote

Old 19-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
Cheffie
Max Morley

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
have the goal posts not been moved?
I think the owners of Robben Island appropriated them for their abalone fishermen up the East coast. Though I do stand to correction.

China have made huge inroads into Africa - granted, most north of the border and relatively recently.

It would be great to be able to vote for the future of our homeland - something the current government in their exiled status were not able to do either. Mind you they didn't have the luxury of internet, nor the willingness of people to appropriate goal posts for them.
Springbok rugby would have been poorer without the flour bombs in NZ!

It remains to be seen whether our 'X' can mark a spot. Leopards notwithstanding
Cheffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Hagar
Hagar the Lovable

SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
In South Africas first free and fair election were all South Africans living abroad not allowed to vote? I stand to correction, but think they were.

If so, have the goal posts not been moved?
I could have sworn South Africans were able to vote in many countries overseas and neighbouring countries in the 1994 elections. This bugged me, and I have done some research to verify this burning question in my mind.

With the help of a web site “fairvote”, and communication with some learned colleagues there my suspicion has been put to rest.

YES South African living abroad were able to vote in many counties outside SA in the 1994 election.

Quote: “In 1994 there were polling places for South Africans living abroad in many parts of the world……..most notably in the USA, Britain and Australia.”

Which brings me back to my original gripe and the goal posts being moved, post 1994 election. This was a negotiated condition pre the 1994 election, and was a gesture to the many SA living in Exile who had supported the struggle. Great Stuff !!! as these votes were vital to the “hopefully” new democracy and acknowledgment of the sacrifices many made in their support for the struggle.

After that, most living in Exile returned and many others left. I assume the vote of those that have left pre and post 1994 election are (again assumed) not to be in the interest of the ruling party, and hence the goal post have been moved, and SA living abroad have NOT had the right to vote since.

I personally see this much like a birth right, and believe that South Africans living abroad should have the right vote. Be that a postal vote or other.

Thanks for listening, I will now put my soap box back under my bed, cheers Hagar the Horrible.

Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
I never thought of that angle till you raised it, hopefully that will be used as part of the arguement in the court case.

mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Hagar
Hagar the Lovable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp999 View Post
I never thought of that angle till you raised it, hopefully that will be used as part of the arguement in the court case.

I hope they actually know this was the case???!!!!!

Through my research to qualify this fact, I have stumbled on something else rather sad.

The right was granted to South Africans abroad to vote. Millions of Rands were spent getting the administration, stationery / ballot papers, polling stations, personnel and observers in place for these important and special votes.

Quote my source:

However, the dirty secret is that the votes were never counted, they were left unopened in the basement of the IEC in Jo'burg (...its a long story...)

But it still does NOT change the fact that the right to vote was granted and put into place.
Old 27-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Squid_Vicious

and the missing 13 million blank ballot papers that to this day have never been found - but then I'm a conspiracy theorist to the core.

Chris Hani was actually Elvis
Squid_Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Unfortunately they no longer have a record of our voting registrations as we only voted in the 1994 elections. I contacted the DA who confirmed that records of voters in that election were not kept, so I don't get to vote this time bah humbug.

Oh well heres to the next General election when I will be sure to register.
Old 27-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #17
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Unfortunately they no longer have a record of our voting registrations as we only voted in the 1994 elections. I contacted the DA who confirmed that records of voters in that election were not kept, so I don't get to vote this time bah humbug.

Oh well heres to the next General election when I will be sure to register.
How is that that we are still on the voter's role then?

Typed in my husband's ID and voila, he is a registed voter...
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan View Post
How is that that we are still on the voter's role then?

Typed in my husband's ID and voila, he is a registed voter...
Joan Hi

Who knows, its Africa and lets face it it aint in the current Govts interest for us to vote. I still sent in the forms but hold little hope
Old 14-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
Hagar
Hagar the Lovable

I am off to Brussels tomorrow to make my cross, 600km round trip, but every vote counts.
Old 14-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Joan Hi

Who knows, its Africa and lets face it it aint in the current Govts interest for us to vote. I still sent in the forms but hold little hope
Very true.......
we have sold our house in record time, did not expect it to go before the end of the year, so we are planning our move back to SA... as I have always said we were going to do!

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL