Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Banter and ALL From light hearted Chat

Load Shedding...

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
Jangar
The Great Dane Pursuit

Sadly I don't. What section did / does he work in? Was he at Bayside ? The smelters use serious power... At Bayside we were using up to 180 KILO Ampere, I think Hillside used around 320 Kilo Ampere.

Strange how figures fade with time
Jangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
disting

Not sure exactly which side he worked on.
Heard that the smelters are at 10% less usage at the moment.
Holding thumbs, this week only had about 1 scheduled power cut.
disting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Jangar
The Great Dane Pursuit

Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by disting View Post
Not sure exactly which side he worked on.
Heard that the smelters are at 10% less usage at the moment.
Holding thumbs, this week only had about 1 scheduled power cut.
Ouch !!! That's a serious drop in productivity. So glad I haven't got shares in the company...
Jangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
disting

This was one of those difficult SA weeks.
The house across the road robbed at 11am in the morning. Car slammed through gates and broke down door. Took computer TV and some beers.
A few years ago the daughter was hi-jacked at the entrance...
I was on a course today and there was a guy who sold x-ray equipment. He mentioned that Addington Hospital had closed many wards because of old and faulty equipment. Tendors were being bungled and funds were dissappearing wholesale. Another guy on the course said he had been to Nigeria on business a few years ago and many places had their own generators...
It's days like these that I wonder about this country that I love...
A country that has failed it's people, that fosters division, incompetence, dishonesty, lawlessness, theft, corruption...
And I try to live my life as best I can, but it's becoming difficult.
The rollercoaster is up and down today...
It should be a happy day for me. Wife had a blood test today, number two on the way....So I was happy for hours today...
But now I'm feeling sad because all those friends and family that are spread all over the world may just have to stay there. My urge for you all to come back is fading. How could I advise you to come back?
For the first time I'm wondering if my house will be worth anything by next year....
We are surrounded by liars in government. Tonight they were saying that the economy will not be too badly affected by the power outages...
So here I am, wondering whether it's worth all this, exposing my loved ones to all this slime around us...A slime that is like a quicksand
Hope I feel better in the morning...
Disting out...

Last edited by disting : 12-02-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
TheDuck
Quack

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-06-14 13:19
Oh disting .. so sad to hear this

I was chatting a to a friend last night from Pinelands, Cape Town and his neighbor had been broken in to and they tried to jimmy his place too, but somehow it kept them at bay

he had to replace all the security today

he is very pro SA and tries to simply get on with things, he tells me his home value has really gone up and I keep wondering whether it would be a good time to sell or whether the property prices will still rise in the Cape with all the 'worse' problems afield in SA?

God speed disting and thanks for the feedback

quack

TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
disting

Happy to say that power outages have not really happened this week.
I think there may be some more outages in the future, but it has definitely jolted many into action. Sometimes a little push is what we need. We get lulled into a false sense of security. This will be a challenging year for many in SA this year. I'm looking forward to a few visits to faraway places this year.
Am hoping that I won't need to get a visa for UK. Our friends in the Home Affairs have been handing out passports to all over the world. Sorry if you end up with more illegals that side. There is talk of this.
As you sit in the cold rainy weather, it's alot more comforting knowing that SA seems to be going down the tubes.
At the moment, I'm feeling a little more upbeat, I'm hoping we can only go up from here. I think 2008 is the crossroad year for SA. We will have some indication by the end of this year, which path we are taking.
I turn my thinking to the high road. I believe more and more in SA and Africa are beginning to know what the high road is.
Stamping out corruption, building schools, infrastructure, ensuring competent skills do essential jobs.
I think China is colonising Africa in a big way. With that should come development, skills, rule of law etc.
I also think ANC sentiment has waned to a fair degree, not sure where people would go as an option. Perhaps people will start realising that much of the happenings over the last decade or so has been a con. If they don't realise it and don't do anything about it, have no sympathy, it's nature, we'll just let it run it's course.
If the world is about the survival of the 'fittest', which I think it is, then Africa will either rise to the occassion, or fall and be replaced...
While some parts of the world work on building a huge cake for all their people, Africa stamps on each other for the crumbs that development brings.
If this continent doesn't get it's act together, it would just be prolonging the agony, to have the mineral wealth that we do. Zimbabwe has imploded, and lately we in SA look like we are following the same manual... Heard the Dakar Rally is going to South America....lekka. Africa seems to want to turn it's back on the world, the world must reciprocate. Why delay the inevitable. Let's get the people of the world who can really look after themselves and do things properly, have long term vision and be able to turn that into reality. It is said that if you don't have plans, you live out the plans of those around you. Africa is like one giant football, being kicked around the global field. Pieces of the ball are coming off and staying wherever the ball lands (refugees). Well thanks for looking after them. They are a generally a drain to first world societies. They are like ambassaders for Africa, letting everyone know what Africa is about. It's like having a taxi and letting anyone just jump aboard, has to stop somewhere... And maybe that's where the solution lies. The rest of the world will be so tired of all the refugees that it will do all it can to make Africa work. Of course the other side is that if Africa is on the up, the number of consumers grow (China and India)
We'll have to make a plan, either be in the mix, and survive, or go around this obstacle and look on from afar... But that is not my first choice. Stuff these okes.. I'm striving for a better life. I don't expect anyone to hand it to me. Excuse me while I psyche myself up for this journey that is called life in Durban. If we all grow from change and adversity, alot of us are growing in SA. Like wherever you are, it's not the way the wind blows, it's how you adjust your sails..
Old 13-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
TheDuck
Quack

yet again disting

your postings are becoming more frequent, this must spell something for you as the uneasiness comes closer to home.

China has taken Africa a long-time ago and the West only reciprocated

Incredible to have grown up with 'die rooi gevaar' and to have it now as a reality, but then this is Africa. China is not interested in colonising, they have no interest in the people of the countries they are in, they are only interested in getting what they can for themselves, the more corrupt the government of the country the deeper they become involved in that country

this was written by a Nigerian regarding China

Today, there is a renewed scramble for the wealth of Africa.
China, our new "friend", does not bother about the genocide against fellow blacks in the Sudan by the Arabs who control the affairs of that country. They say they do not want to interfere in the internal affairs of any country. All they want is the oil in Sudan to run their industries. Yet, we blacks have not seen the Chinese action as an affront to our sensitivities.

easy pickings for a growing giant

Unfortunately, the actions regarding SA passports has already led to the discussion of a visa for South Africans to the UK, and this seems very likely. Shame some lads at the SA offices will be running out of an extra income

Till the next time and as always I enjoy your feedback as it is frank and to the point

Old 19-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #18
disting

Hi from a humid Durban evening. Hopefully some food for thought.
Sad to see in the news how a young girl got shot in the crossfire between security company and robbers. She just happened to be sitting in a car nearby, waiting to collect a friend from school.
Hearing about people and celebrities dying on the roads in car accidents is also basically a weekly event. It may totally knock you off you chair to know that most seem to involves minibus taxis. A seemingly untouchable part of society.
Heard today that Ballito up the coast was allocated 48 million rand for upgrades to their beach promenade. They were devastated when the seas got rough a few months ago. Apparently 10 million rand has gone missing in the first week.
When it comes to crime and corruption, it's clearly open season. The message is, GO FOR IT!!! This filters down to all forms of society. If the supposed role models seem to be getting away with whatever they can, then why not jump on the bandwagon. I don't like Mbeki, but he at least doesn't seem like a fat cat. I see parliament and he, together with those in the opposition parties doesn't seem to put on weight. Seen any thin African leaders lately? The gravy train is clear to see...
Apart from the crime totally in our faces every day, I am most concerned about dropping standards, especially moral standards. I can see my path really getting difficult when I can't play things straight down the line. That's what I'm about and when it seems that I'm a very small minority on this, things start getting tough.
There will be a Budget Speech tomorrow, delivered by Trevor Manual. A man who has recieved wide acclaim, I think internationally too. This may be his last Budget Speech because he isn't part of the new ANC. It true ANC style he may be replaced with a genuine palooka for the sake of politics. "How many shots can you put into your foot?", I ask the current government...
The diabolical thing about the whole Eskom fiasco (recent power outages) is that not only did heads not roll, we hear that only last year huge bonuses were paid to these senior people. That starts to really grate the carrot, when one can see how there is an increasing burdon being put on middle and upper class people. They are talking about free education and free health....BOLLOCKS (phew, becoming quite vocal tonight!!) It's like all the sick, lame and lazy are jumping on the backs of the last few of us that actually work for a living. Cost of living is going up. I see in a recent property sales review, I think nearly 10 percent of sales were because people were leaving. That means fewer backs to climb on...
A valuation roll has just been released. Properties will now be valuated on market value, not municipal value. What that probably means is that Robbing Hood will take more from the haves, and give to the....well the Jacob Zuma supporters... We are suppose to be able to access the roll on the website. I think Eskom engineers were part of this, can't actually see valuations...
So far his supporters have shown that they want lots and don't want to do much for it. The SACP, for example, seems to be about bringing everyone down to the lowest denominator.
On a more positive note, and let me think of more than just this one...
Heard today that a friend's siter is out with her family, to visit and set themselves up. They have been in the UK for long enough for him to be a qualified aneathetist and she is a doctor. They will be setting up permanently in Durban at the end of the year. Wow, imagine if we had a huge flood of talent, that could contribute and stand up next to those bearing the increasing burden... That's like saying the Boks could win the 2007 Rugby World Cup... I have fleeting moments of optimism....
I am glad to see the world starting to comment on what they are seeing in SA, that recent article about there being no more Mandela's (seen curtesy of Globalbuzz) is good. That means people are standiing up and saying, "what's going on here?" Even a few important people. [Heart just sank there for a minute as I heard 4 beeps from the motion sensors, something was outside the house. Fortunately looked out and it was a cat..]
But then what does that external commentary do for a country?? I look at Zimbabwe, I think alot has been said, but it hasn't really made a difference.
I think the difference will lie in where the comments and criticisms come from.
In Zimbabwe's case, i think most of the criticism came from those in the UK. That was the place Mugabe thinks is the devil. South Africa's, and indeed Africa's salvation lies with black people of consequence standing up and saying the right stuff. I'm sure that's what made most great countries in the world today. The right people stood up and made the right choices and chose the high road. Indeed [Aish, sound like a politician!!]our resident satirical cartoonest "Zapiro" draws cartoons about things we are all thinking...But we need to stand up and be counted. That's damn difficult though in the current climate. I went to a community policing forum a while back, trying to get proactive about crime here. I was one of 3 people at the meeting, together with a cop holding a piece of paper with fairly meaningless statistics on it. Most of the meeting was taken up talking about some inter-racial arguments at the previous meeting. Now, I'm talking about a couple of suburbs worth of houses, maybe 1000 houses....
There is still distrust between various groups in society,the cops are like a dog without teeth (maybe no mouth). Crime is a long way from getting better. The main thing is that we are not creating jobs, another contributing factor. Unions are not part of the solution but rather part of the problem. They are still preoccupied with wage increases. We'll soon be the only country in the wold to have 1000 workers in total. All earning well and really well looked after...
I'm just thinking now about those in the rest of the world and in SA that supported a change in SA over the past decades. How do they feel, knowing that what they thought so strongly about and fought for is being eroded big time... by greed, theft, dishonesty. We are a country, following the lead of most countries, it would seem, where religious and parental moral compasses are being replaced by just plane scary stuff. Words like 'baby and 'bath water' come to mind... Perhaps that's why I really savour and appreciate the time the daughter spends with her grandparents, they provide some sort of compass.
So here it is. Every person that succumbs to crime is going to be feeling less likely to be pro government and may be edging closer to some sort of change.
The leader we need may be in school now, he/she [ow, so politically correct I am] may be somewhere else in the world, in the last stages of being ready to lead SA to greatness. Make no mistake, it all comes down to leadership.
Global leadership is not really in the hands of politicians, it's probably more in the hands of about 100 business leaders. They are steering the course. They are the ones pulling the strings of the puppets who we think are important.
I'm hopefull that their morals and convictions are what it will take for Africa to get better. They will decide if Africa sinks or swims...
Let's make a difference.
Oh, and let me know if things are getting worse where you are, feeling a bit lonely on this one...

Last edited by disting : 19-02-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 20-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #19
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Disting hows it, if you want to hear it is getting worse over here, then yes, that can be confirmed You only have to look at the national newspapers an a daily basis to see that in the UK, Gun crime has risen and they are considering installing metal detectors in at certain inner city schools as youths are dying regularly.
The youth have no respect for authority and just last week, a group of youths were convicted agter kicking someone to death http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/7176471.stm

Another pensioner was stoned to death as he was playing cricket with his son by children between the ages of 10 and 13 http://www.lifestyleextra.com/ShowSt...toned_to_death

I could go on and on as it looks like the world is deteriorating in general. Things in SA do look bleak at the moment, but, with the amount of people who have returned recently who are gutsing it out in an effort to improve things, there is still hope (if not light at the end of the tunnel).

Good to see your postings

Last edited by mcamp999 : 20-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #20
TheDuck
Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by disting View Post
I'm just thinking now about those in the rest of the world and in SA that supported a change in SA over the past decades. How do they feel, knowing that what they thought so strongly about and fought for is being eroded big time... by greed, theft, dishonesty. We are a country, following the lead of most countries, it would seem, where religious and parental moral compasses are being replaced by just plane scary stuff. Words like 'baby and 'bath water' come to mind...
As always .. great to hear from you disting

regarding your above question .. speaking to a friend of mine from West Africa yesterday .. they currently visiting from Finland, it is the family winter ski week in Scandinavia (albeit no snow here) .. he said he had hoped that South Africa could be an example to the rest of Africa and that unfortunately he was wrong .. he said it is sad to see that they have chosen to take the same path .. they spoke of the actions of those in power in SA ..

Its all rather sad and with the news of Manuel being replaced it is almost fatal

However what is truly sad and no matter how we try to avoid this, Africa has a history and what is taking place in SA is not something which has not followed a similar pattern before

Good luck for the week and may we continue to find hope in the ever changing landscape

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL