Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Banter and ALL From light hearted Chat

Load Shedding...

Old 21-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
disting

Hi Duck and mcamp999

Ja, a pity that things are sliding in the UK. I know things are nowhere as bad as here. I suppose the frightening thing is that when changes happen gradually (UK, etc), people don't react to them as much and the problems are not tackled. Perhaps one benefit here is that things have changed quickly, and many people are not happy with how things have changed, it's up to us to stand up and speak out and insist on change for the better. Another point is that when we South Africans hear about the other end of the world not being so rosy, we would act more like our backs are against the wall and solve our problems here. I think very often the perception of South Africans is that things are rosy anywhere else...
Wow, saw Celine Dion last night in a packed Durban Stadium. It is her "Taking Chances" Tour and it was fantastic. We had a bit of rain, but it didn't affect a polished performance!! All songs sounded like we've all heard them over the years. How can we be such a throw away country if she can kick off her world tour in SA?? She said she had met Mandela. She spoke a few Zulu words (difficult with French accent) Mentioned that her family are loving it out here and that they had been on a "Safari" the day before...wonderful experience. Oh, and she's hot...
disting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
TheDuck
Quack

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-06-14 13:19
Hi disting .. magic .. my wife would have loved to be in SA to see Celine

do take note that your thread is one of the most viewed in the Banter and All, so I suppose a lot more are interested in reading about your load shedding

TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #23
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
''Another point is that when we South Africans hear about the other end of the world not being so rosy, we would act more like our backs are against the wall and solve our problems here. I think very often the perception of South Africans is that things are rosy anywhere else...''

Disting that is oh so true, the realities of packing up and leaving often aren't realised untill time has gone by and you find out that crime happens everywhere in the world (Obviously not to the same degree as in SA). But crimefighters world wide are fighting a rise in crime, and violent crime at that, aften drug or gang related.

I was listening to a programme on BBC five live the other day about the problems in the inner city areas, and how people in parts of London have to live by postcode i.e. There are areas outside of their postcode that they cannot travel to for fear of being attacked.

In Cambridge, a small city which does not have nearly the same problems as London, the police are struggling to cope with knife crime, there are a number of articles about this in our local paper and this is reflected right across the country.

Just the other day, a number of militiary personell were arrested, they were supplying guns and ammunition to gangs in Scotland.

Then there is the crime that is sport related, i.e. football vandalism which can be found right across the world. With people being stabbed and killed just for supporting the wrong team.

have a look at this article to put load shedding in perspective http://www.globalbuzz-sa.net/forums/...ead.php?t=9842

Last edited by mcamp999 : 21-02-2008 at 08:19 PM.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #24
disting

I'm not one for sticking poems and things on here, but something says that you should all read this. Apart from my favourite poem "If" by Rudyard Kipling. My grandfather gave "If" to me once.
This was at the back of a leaflet that was at a very moving and life changing memorial service of a friend of mine. He was my age and also had a young family. And no, his untimely death was of natural causes. A heart condition. He died a few months ago. He and his wife were so well suited and loved each other big time. I learnt a few things about the man that I didn't know, at that service. People from his previous work, of all races stood up and spoke of what he meant to them and how they would miss him. Aish, I thought, we've really lost a good South African. I sat next to a young guy with his mom, who my wife knew. Turns out that my mate had got him a job and basically changed his life. Anyway, spare a thought for his widow and 2 young kids. Just found the poem on the net:

Max Ehrmann

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

Good stuff...
Oh, and Eskom says that we should have no power outages until winter, and then "what happens is anyones guess"

Hey Global-buzz, thanks for the space. probably coming up for 10 years of space, all told...
Old 28-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #25
disting

I don't want to come across as doom and gloom, but my recent frequency has been because this is what is happening. Before, we really were all just getting on with our lives, with few incidents.
Last Sunday I popped into the local hardware store. My mates dad is running the place and I greeted him and asked him when my friend was coming out from Ireland. He comes back annually.
After finding my rawl bolt I returned to the counter. He mentioned that a few hours earlier, when he was opening up the store, he was held at gunpoint....
He was marched to the small kitchen and locked in it. He heard some voices and they got away with cash from the previous day. The scary thing is that they came and he heard the key in the door and they were trying the handle. he saw his life flashing before him, but luckily, they left him in there and left.
Latety it feels like we've all been playing a lottery game, with the usual 36 numbers or so, and we've dropped a whole lot of numbers... Chances seem to have increased big time that someone we know, or even ourselves will be next...
Starting to feel a bit like a flock of Impala, and the lion ratio is increasing...
On the whole nature thing. I hear that elephanys will be allowed to be culled. I've heard for a while now that the numbers have got too large. Unfortunatley, historically, this means that if 200 elephants are supposedly culled, there will be 2000 skins or sets of tusks for sale out there... maths is not big in Africa (and science apparently)
I suppose I'm just grateful that we have some magic game parks still. Saw a programme about a guy who brought all his elephants down from Zim. They are trained for taking people on their backs etc. He was describing the scenes up there, and a few scenes flashed up. It's as bad as you could expect and more terrifying... what is happening to wildlife there.
But back to the crime thing. I think we will be on the right track when our supposed future president (Jacob Zuma) doesn't act like he is guilty of corruption. He was in Mauritius trying to stop officials from giving local prosecuters documents that prove his corruption. This is going to be some Hudeni stuff, one way or another. They has been so much smoke that there must be fire. And if it all disappears, then be concerned...
So I'll go to sleep soon, with a few things on my mind...
I'll be thinking and hoping that we are not visited tonight at our home or business by the "lions". And I'll be thinking about the guy we caught stealing from us today at work, and how his life is going to change. his wife works for us as well. This is someone that said he had AIDS and when he went off for many weeks, we paid him half pay per day, to help out... Words hand, bite and feed come to mind...
We are surrounded by scum, it's becoming difficult to move...
Oh, and when you talk to someone in day to day business. Not only is he telling you when he is meeting someone about immigrating, he tells you all of the people he knows who have left or leaving... That's sad, when we start to lose our support systems and people, (and there will be less "Impala's)... He does engineering work for us...
Old 29-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #26
TheDuck
Quack

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-06-14 13:19
Child

disting nice to hear from you albeit not the news being so pleasant

what are your plans for the future? Have you any considerations for moving abroad or is that something which can't be considered?

I am truly saddened by what is happening in SA and on a daily basis we need to look for positive aspects and then those idiots go make a ridiculous video and it places the whole process back where it started. The World will now condemn 'all' white South Africans as racist eggheads.

Slowly but surely my tether is being eroded

on something positive ... mcamp is in Cape Town presently, probably sampling the local wine, so he may take a while to reply ..

TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
Paddy

Hi Disting,

I really enjoy reading your posts. They're full of thought and substance. Hope tomorrow is a better day in SA. I need SA to work. When I married my Irish wife, I told her before we got married, 'Don't let me grow old in Ireland'.....eight years on and I still struggle with the winters.
So I have her word on it.
Look after yourself
Paddy
Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #28
disting

Hey Paddy

I truly hope you can head this side some day. I'm hoping that a few of us will help to pave the way for a better SA. I've got good and bad news this week. Unfortunately seems to be skewed on the side we don't want to hear about...Ja, Duck, my considerations for moving abroad seem to be proportional to all the stuff happening around us. Reading on, you may get some insight into how much consideration has been taking place. I hope mcamp999 has a good time in Cape Town. And don't let me see you guys arguing. You are all my mates and I need you to stick together. But thanks for listening to me anyway. It's good to get this stuff off my chest and know that someone is listening. Us minorities get very little heard these days...
The good news is that I heard people talking about how dirty things are around us. There was a woman who came onto the talk radio to say that her mom used to be a nurse and used to boast how clean things were. The daughter had been in exile. Since she has come back, she can't understand what her mom meant by cleanliness!! I suppose the first step in having a problem is that our society acknowledges it... If enough people see it as a problem, then it'll improve... Unfortunatley, most people I see around me just throw their litter on the floor... can't handle it... My mate in Joburg, who is from Durban, calls it Dirtbin... Last time I went into the centre of town, I can't argue with him...
And now for the beaut.... Just recieved our property valuation in the post. Our municipality is changing the way we are charged for our rates. We are in future going to be charged by market value and not municipal value. Market value is higher I was sure, so many of us have been feeling uneasy. And here's the best part...Not only is the value that they have given my property much higher than the municipal value, it is about 25% higher than actual market value!! I know this because they chose July 2007 to decide on market value (probably the highest peak property has ever been historically) I had a property salesman come around at about that time, and they are 25% higher than what he said I would get... Taking into account that it was an environment when estate agents were pushing huge prices because there seemed to be an endless supply of buyers, and the fact that the property market has even gone a bit backwards since then, it tends to leave a bad taste in the mouth. A bit like streets that you've grown up with being renamed after some struggle person you've never heard of...
I hope I'm wrong, but it seems rates may double in cost.
I'm starting to feel like my costs are going up big time, but seem to be getting less even for the same money. Diesel went up over 70 cents yesterday, food prices have soared, amidst collusion investigations (bread, milk, medicines all under investigation)
A few days ago (this one just popped into my head, this could end up being a negative one, sorry Paddy etc.) there were more than 70 people killed on the roads in our province alone. Seeing how taxi drivers and truck drivers drive, it's almost miraculous that we aren't losing more people daily...
But rather than nailing these transgressors of the law, the road traffic cops hide behind bushes and fine motorists for breaking the speed limit...
I've actually heard that taxi associations would blockade roads, if they are targeted. Oh, and have you ever heard of the statistics of how many accidents involve taxi's? Sure not, just something we all quietly know is a high percentage....
And I'm going to throw this one in, bacause you all need to know. last Sunday a lady was gang raped at Hillcrest, about 30 minutes inland. She was apparently fishing with her dad at a private dam, when it happened. Sounds like they beat him up and tied him to a tree before they... well don't want to go into details... I hear they have arrested 5 suspects, who were living nearby... Perhaps you could add something Sue, it's close to where you are...
Being in a country where we have beautiful places around us and not going to these places because of fear, is really sad...
I hear that people get mugged on Table Mountain all the time. Baggage gets stolen at airports on a large scale. A total free for all...
I had a feeling 2008 would be a the worst year, didn't think it would be this bad...
I recently read how our rugby players are happy to be playing for French clubs. They are earning good money and have been accepted and their families are also happy. I've spent a few years in the UK. I know how nice things can be...
As I've said previously, it is magic that the lightie can get to know her grandfolks here and visa versa, but it is becoming difficult, this balancing act. The importance of our family ties against the possibility of ever present dangers... How can anyone be waying these sorts of things up in a country that is headed in the right direction? If this is the year that SA is at the crossroads, then it seems we have taken the wrong turn.
Just a few nights ago there was an attempted highjacking just down the road, shots fired, but luckily nowone hurt.
Years ago I said I would report on SA. For most of those years there was very little to report, mostly good stuff.... Unfortunatley, that seems to have changed.
But I won't sit and moan, I'm going to do what I can. There is a meeting soon at someone's house, about crime in our area, just have to get proactive. Imagine the feeling though. You spend a few hours at somebody's house, hoping that your loved ones at home are OK... We are even becoming fearful of being proactive.
Lastly, Eskom is now saying that they want large construction to slow, excluding 2010 stadium projects... The unions are getting angry about this and strikes are on the cards... Am sure we'll get the same sort of behaviour as some of our rail commuters. Every now and then, when train services are slow etc, they burn coaches. Now that will ensure wonderful service in future...no really, I'm sure you can find articles on this, sounds unbelievable..
You can read anything you like, I'm in the middle of this mess, and it's a bumpy ride. Appreciate where you are, if you do nothing else when you read this...
Disallusioned

Last edited by disting : 05-03-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #29
Jangar
The Great Dane Pursuit

Denmark

As always it's great to read one of your posts Disting. :-)
Jangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #30
Pronkertjie
Warm at Heart

Last blog entry: Wed, 2007-08-01 13:50
Thanks Disting for being honest. Thank you for trying to make a difference. My family are all still in SA and when they call my first reaction is to listen to the tone in their voices - are they going to tell me bad news. I thank God that nothing serious has happened yet.

When I returned from SA the end of last year my suitcase was broken into, but instead of something taken out someone's video camera was added to my stuff. The airlines said that they have never had a 'complaint' like this - usually people's stuff were taken out, not things added. I feel so sorry for the people who had a lovely visit to Cape Town who is now without their camera and CD!

Vasbyt!
Pronkertjie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL