Banter and ALL From light hearted Chat

Fear Of Crime ~ by Bronwyn McIntosh

Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Ade
Blazed in Cape Green

Fear Of Crime ~ by Bronwyn McIntosh

a little more serious?

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/55/...ommentary.html

I came across this article, which is a few years old now but I'm sure still pertinent. (my apologies if this has been posted before, I must have missed it)
The content does not worry me insofar as I already know these things, but it is the response by MBeki to dismiss the article and denounce the author as a racist which I find quite alarming.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...0113831C136313

Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
gwasi

Of course Mbeki will cry racist - thats the way now - unfortunate but true.
Spoke to my mom and D2 the other day and they are now seriously thinking of leaving. Cape town has been my mothers home for 27 years, my father is buried there, her friends and life are there, never has she felt so settled. D2 is the same. They've both lived in different countries, faced countless diffculties and cultures - The Cultural Revolution in China springs to mind with my mom - she lived through it in Hong Kong (on the mainland not the island part) very near the border and survived, Yemen, Cyprus, etc, but they do not feel they can live through the turmoil and danger that is now South Africa. They are too old to fight, to survive; they feel they are just exsiting. they want to live, enjoy each others company, not worry when one of them is late coming in from the supermarket or church. They are tired of panicking when the phone rings late at night, tired as they do not sleep soundly anymore, waking at every bump and noise. They are prepared to leave this land they love and move to a place which gets very very cold (to them). A land that they both left more than half their lives ago (the land of their birth) to feel secure. They might not have born African but they are African in heart, spirit and mind.
gwasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Banter and ALL