GlobalBuzz-SA

Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Business and Finance Business and finance discussions.

What benefits am I entitled to in the UK with children

Old 24-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
jewels
Precious is a turned knee

thanks everyone for replying

i think i did mean those that abuse the system tho - so often i hear of people asking what they can get when ultimately i think it is "your own baby" pardon the pun !

im scared to death of the costs implications for having children and that is one of the reasons we havent started yet
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
thanks everyone for replying

i think i did mean those that abuse the system tho - so often i hear of people asking what they can get when ultimately i think it is "your own baby" pardon the pun !

im scared to death of the costs implications for having children and that is one of the reasons we havent started yet
Jewels, just my worth, if you are going to wait until you can afford a baby, you may wait for too long..
How much does one need to bring up a child?
It is difficult to say precisely, but it is just as difficult to determine when you will have enough money...
If I waited until we had enough money, we would not have had grand children yet...

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #13
Oom Rob
The MiB

Hiya Jewels and let me say that I respect your views and can see where you are 'coming from', however I must agree with Joan - do not leave it too late!

I have "two" families, three from my first marriage when I was in my early 20's and two from my marriage to Ruth - I was 35 when Wendy was born and 40 when our Robin was born. So I have seen the costs of bringing up the two families increase over the years - remember costs go up and hardly ever come down. Malcolm has put it in a nutshell regarding the various benefits appertaining to children inthat in SA it was given as a 'tax break' whereas here it is in the form of a benefit - and let me assure you, irrespective of how much you are earning, the benefits do help.

And I have to agree with you regarding those that sponge on the system - I to have no time for them.
Oom Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #14
Ade
Blazed in Cape Green

Hi Jewels
I agree with all the above... (If the money's there you may aswell take it - you pay the taxes in, don't you?)
Starting a family is a MASSIVE change to your lifestyle. The financial aspect is just a small part of the price(!?) you have to pay...
We started in the late 80's when our mortgage flew up to 16 percent and we didn't have 2 pennies to rub together.
At least we had the joy of a child to divert us

(The 1st of which has just cost me £200 for a iPod birthday pressie!!)
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
John01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade
Hi Jewels

(The 1st of which has just cost me £200 for a iPod birthday pressie!!)
Did you buy the Nano?

With regard to Child benefits : It is fair comment to say it is sensible to wait until a financially secure position has been reached before having children. (Not always so easy)

Once the child or children are born, we must always do our best to act in their best interest. As the benefit (unless we are independently wealthy) is likely to improve the childrenÂ’s lives, we have a duty to secure available benefits and put them to good use.
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
jewels
Precious is a turned knee

thanks guys.
i know Joan, if i wait until we are financially ready, we will never have ! women are leaving it later an dlater nowadys and set themselves up for disappointment when they are struggling to conceive. it is scary - it sounds it still listening to you guys
BUT then again, you talk about the children as having many more positive points. i am hoping this is true !
it terrifies me !
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #17
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
thanks guys.
i know Joan, if i wait until we are financially ready, we will never have ! women are leaving it later an dlater nowadys and set themselves up for disappointment when they are struggling to conceive. it is scary - it sounds it still listening to you guys
BUT then again, you talk about the children as having many more positive points. i am hoping this is true !
it terrifies me !
Jewels, I never wanted children... thought of myself as a world traveller, etc.
But then our first son was born and I cannot even try to describe the love you feel for your children, the experiences (good and bad!!) that go with bringing up children, the pleasure of having children far, far outweigs any financial investment, growth or whatever..

Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
can i be bold and say i dont believe people should get these benefits - we havent tried for kids yet as we wish to save for them - i think if you have them, you shoul dpay for them yourself
?

Jewels, are you claiming then?
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance