Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Travel and Immigration Travel experiences and Immigration chat

How long is Passport renewal process?

Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
doctorjellybean

How long is Passport renewal process?

I need to renew my passport, which expires in June. Apparently there is an express service available in SA itself, but not here in the UK. Would it be any quicker if I send my passport to a family member in SA so that they can send it through the express service?

Thanks.
doctorjellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
ForumAdmin
Administrator

the resident guru on this stuff is in SA at this moment however we have sent him a PM and hopefully he can assist you

or maybe even John could pop in

Shouldn't be too long

Thanks and welcome

ForumAdmin
ForumAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
doctorjellybean

Cheers for letting me know!

I did notice that on the SA Embassy's (London) website that the turnaround is 4 months. If one allows a week for the diplomatic bag to reach SA, a week back, that leaves just over 3 months for an application to sit on a desk somewhere. I'm pretty sure the last time I renewed it, it didn't take that long!

On the same website, it states that they need certified copies of the existing passport. Does that mean that I keep my current passport while they deal with my application? My ILR stamp is in the current one, and I really would hate for it to go missing.

Maybe I should insert a few Rands inside the passport lol. It works elsewhere in Africa
Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjellybean View Post
Cheers for letting me know!

I did notice that on the SA Embassy's (London) website that the turnaround is 4 months. If one allows a week for the diplomatic bag to reach SA, a week back, that leaves just over 3 months for an application to sit on a desk somewhere. I'm pretty sure the last time I renewed it, it didn't take that long!

On the same website, it states that they need certified copies of the existing passport. Does that mean that I keep my current passport while they deal with my application? My ILR stamp is in the current one, and I really would hate for it to go missing.

Maybe I should insert a few Rands inside the passport lol. It works elsewhere in Africa
You do get to keep your current passport whilst it is being processed. They will then cancel your current passport once the new one is issued, but you get to keep it and can still use the ILR that is inside it.
The website says 4 months, but most people receive it back within less. It would be best to apply in the UK, as that way, if they need things like fingerprints etc you will be there to do it.
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
doctorjellybean

A requirement is:

Quote:
British Home Office letter stating that you do not have British citizenship. The letter is requested from those who have been in the UK for 4 years or more. The letter should not be 4 months old. The letter can be obtained by writing to: British Nationality Division, 3rd Floor, India Buildings, Water Street, Liverpool, L2 0QN.
From what I have read elsewhere on the internet, this alone can take months? Does anyone have any experience of this process?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Cheffie
Max Morley

You raise an interesting point DR J.b..

What happens if you do have a British passport? It seems rather confusing.

Mcamp? John?
Cheffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjellybean View Post
A requirement is:

From what I have read elsewhere on the internet, this alone can take months? Does anyone have any experience of this process?
It took me 2 weeks when I did it, not aware of any changes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffie View Post

Mcamp? John?

Then you would have to state that you do have British nationality and also shoiw evidence that you got permission or this, or that you aquired it via descent.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
John01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffie View Post

Mcamp? John?
The issue is not the British passport, which is merely proof of citizenship, it is the about how British citizenship was acquired. There are essentially two possibilities: A) involuntary; which is by birth or descent or B) by a voluntary act, usually by a successful application for naturalisation.

Where British Citizenship is held as a direct result of birthright, permission is no longer required to exercise that citizenship by travelling on a British Passport, providing the holder uses their South African passport to enter and leave SA and does not use their British Passport for purposes such as reclaiming tax.

The catch which many are not aware of is that if you naturalise as a British citizen without first having permission from the SA authorities, your South African citizenship is automatically lost. Lost SA citizenship may be reclaimed as soon as the person who lost it returns to SA "permanently" and it is worth being aware that a SA citizen by birth, currently, retains the right to live in SA free from immigration controls)

The reason a 4 year date is mentioned is that it is assumed that SA citizens married to British citizens may have naturalised within that time and proof is required if this is not the case.

There is debate over the legitimacy of automatic removal of SA citizenship which does seem to fly in the face of citizenship rights laid down in the SA Constitution.

* There is an exemption from automatic loss covering the period when many ANC supporters were abroad and had no option but to take other citizenships if they wished to travel.

There you have it, a lot more info than asked for!
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Cheffie
Max Morley

Thanks for clarifying that John and Mcamp.
Cheffie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration