Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quick question about Skype
Is it really full duplex as they claim ?

I.e. can you and whomever you're calling both talk at the same time or is like walkie-talkies only one person at a time able to speak ?
depends on the connection of the person you talking to .. it is very similar to a telephone

hope that helps
I think it's the best invention in a long time. I was very sceptic but now I am using it so much. I love it it is worth having if you have braodband. So go for it ok:
the latest updated version has video capabilities, so when you phone other people, you can send live video feed at the same time, then they can see you.

We have just done this to SA, hubby's fam. and they were thrilled to be able to see us..heh.

But ja its very much like talking on the phone, one person at a time. In the chat you can have more people..
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Ameniatha Wrote:the latest updated version has video capabilities, so when you phone other people, you can send live video feed at the same time, then they can see you.

We have just done this to SA, hubby's fam. and they were thrilled to be able to see us..heh.

But ja its very much like talking on the phone, one person at a time. In the chat you can have more people..

Do you need a webcam for this?
Thanx for the advice / info but I am still :confused: ....

TheDuck says it's like a telephone and Amen says it's like a walkie-talkie, one person at a time.... :yikes:
Ok, Its exactly like phone.. I use it at work and to call home...
The only thing that may restrict full duplex is your computer sound card and the connection speed between the 2 computers. (not considering telephone skype here)
Most computer sound cards around today are full duplex.
Therefore duplex is usually possible, the deciding factor is the bandwidth available. If the bandwidth is low, choosing the full duplex option results in lag and jerky audio. Switching to "walkie talkie" mode does not remove the lag, but the audio is miles better. (Horses for courses!)
Strawbs Wrote:Do you need a webcam for this?

lol....yes. Wink
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Jangar Wrote:Thanx for the advice / info but I am still :confused: ....

TheDuck says it's like a telephone and Amen says it's like a walkie-talkie, one person at a time.... :yikes:

Jan

As you are can speak into an open mike, and everyone can listen to the speakers, many people can talk at the same time. If, however, you use one of these clip on mikes (the ones you put on your head) then only one can speak at a time. I use my webcam which has a mike on it, and we can all speak at the same time if required

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skype Pronkertjie 4 3,879 29-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Ray
  Skype Bean of Love 23 10,176 05-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Last Post: TheDuck
  Skype Squid_Vicious 10 7,097 20-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Squid_Vicious
  Silly Xp Question Bean of Love 6 3,825 19-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Ameniatha
  Skype lols 0 3,057 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Skype Handsets Jangar 0 3,588 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Skype aims to net businesses with cut-price VoIP service 0 995 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: