Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compressed Manure Pellets
I know the ideal stuff for renovating flower beds is the fresh stuff, straight from the, errr, supplier (or is that primary producer?), but are these pellets any good does anyone know?

Thanks
G
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
I know the ideal stuff for renovating flower beds is the fresh stuff, straight from the, errr, supplier (or is that primary producer?), but are these pellets any good does anyone know?

Thanks
G

just asked the green and dirt fingerd mother,,and she says there is not that much diffrence between them,,not in the long run anyway!
Compressed pellets would be good in the short term as they have already cooled down and won't 'burn' the plants. Slower release of nutrients into the soil as well.
Thanks Lane and BB, as an update I went with mushroom compost, 2 cubic yards of the stuff - that's a lot of muck!

I have discovered that the soil beneath the lawn that I ripped up to make the flowerbeds is in fact lovely rock-hard compressed clay, not nice light loamy soil at all! So now I have had to hire a rotovator as I ain't digging this blerry lot up manually!!

So this weekend I am rotovating and adding the compost and sand (for improved drainage), I wonder when I'll actually get round to the planting!!!!

Photo's soon, as promided.
While we're on the subject ... which is best for conditioning your soil? I thought manure was better if you want a more lush (ie green, leafy) growth. When do you use compost?
I've also got leftover tomato feed from last year, and I don't really see myself planting tomatoes this year - can I just put it in the garden too?
Manure is good if it has been properly rotted down - the heat will have killed any weed seeds. Personally I prefer compost as it tends to have a more open structure and drains better (peat free varieties). I guess you will have to decide what you prefer to work with or go with the cheapest - in my case it happens to be manure as I can get it by the truckload from work. I just mix 1 part sand to 3 parts manure or add bark chippings to open it up a bit.
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
While we're on the subject ... which is best for conditioning your soil? I thought manure was better if you want a more lush (ie green, leafy) growth. When do you use compost?
I've also got leftover tomato feed from last year, and I don't really see myself planting tomatoes this year - can I just put it in the garden too?

Dudette, tomato feed can be used for any number of applications. It is geared to make the fruit bigger and the plant less leafy. So not good for grass and shrubs and trees, but excellent for flower borders. Big Grin
Thank you Tara. I'm looking forward to the results then Smile
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Thank you Tara. I'm looking forward to the results then Smile

Heh Heh Dudette, I hope your beautiful yellow and white and purple blooms don't all turn bright red! Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003
Have you tried lion manure to keep cats away?

My garden seems to be the neighbourhood toilet for local cats. Sick

We get numerous requests for big cat droppings - problem is, unless you apply it regularly it has no effect.