Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prostate Cancer
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I am open to correction, but I believe that Nelson Mandela was diagnosed with cancer of the prostate just before or just after he was freed, either way it was about 10 years ago. He had it removed and look, he is still going strong! Smile

The prognosis is good, provided it hasn't spread.

The NHS site is very informative Pombok, as are the Axa-PPP and Bupa sites.

And Archbishop TUTU and he is still going strong Wink

As with all cancers...if caught early your chances are good.

Will think of you and your family G, happy reading and hope all goes well.
Quote:Originally posted by Daniela
And Archbishop TUTU and he is still going strong Wink

As with all cancers...if caught early your chances are good.

Will think of you and your family G, happy reading and hope all goes well.
I wanted to mention Archbishop Tutu, he was diagnosed with cancer many, many years ago.
It depends on how far the disease has progressed and whether it has been diagnosed at an early stage.
Men tend to neglect their health and unlike women , only go to a doctor if they are ill.
Men should go for annual check-ups and once you reach a certain age, do ask to have a PSA test.
Once again many thanks all for the links and information. We are learning more and more about this disease as the days go by. We are greatly encouraged by the survival rates for younger men (John is in his early 60's, plus is very fit and otherwise healthy). We have also learned that they have caught the cancer very early. Unlike the blokes described (very accurately!) by Joan, he did trott straight off to the doctor at the first sign of trouble, a lesson all us fellas would do well to learn.
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Once again many thanks all for the links and information. We are learning more and more about this disease as the days go by. We are greatly encouraged by the survival rates for younger men (John is in his early 60's, plus is very fit and otherwise healthy). We have also learned that they have caught the cancer very early. Unlike the blokes described (very accurately!) by Joan, he did trott straight off to the doctor at the first sign of trouble, a lesson all us fellas would do well to learn.

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law, Pombok. I hope he gets through this.

It sounds like you're doing a great job of being supportive and informed.

The best thing you can do for your wife is to get yourself checked out before trouble begins. I know it's not the most comfortable of examinations to go through, but worth it.

Strength to you!
this thread has frightened the life out of me, according to the symptoms I think I am okay, must admit the thought of the check up is the off putting part.
Thoughts are with your F-in-L, PB.
Hi Natalie/WP

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I haven't been on the boards a lot of late.

As to the unpleasant nature of the exam, there is also a non invasive test available, which any one of us Buzz blokes that are middle aged would do well to have.

John is bearing up well and hasn't lost his sense of humour. We will all be a lot happier once we know the results of the op.

Thank you all again for the kind word, thoughts and prayers.

DaPom
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Hi Natalie/WP

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, I haven't been on the boards a lot of late.

As to the unpleasant nature of the exam, there is also a non invasive test available, which any one of us Buzz blokes that are middle aged would do well to have.

John is bearing up well and hasn't lost his sense of humour. We will all be a lot happier once we know the results of the op.

Thank you all again for the kind word, thoughts and prayers.

DaPom
delay NO problem Wink
I hope the f-i-l is recovering well.
PB can you please tell me what is this non invasive test? it strangely has more appeal!!
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear about that. We hope it he recovers quickly and our thoughts are with you guys.

Ru
We wish your FIL the best of luck and hoping he recovers quickly. He is in our thoughts and prayers.
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
delay NO problem Wink
I hope the f-i-l is recovering well.
PB can you please tell me what is this non invasive test? it strangely has more appeal!!
Whirly, I stand to correction but I believe it to be a simple blood test these days.
[color0blue]Dit was lekker by die see... Die Bodensee ( Lake Constance )[/color]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skin Cancer Tara 5 4,043 29-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Last Post: whirlpool
  Housework cuts breast cancer risk Pronkertjie 0 3,891 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: