GlobalBuzz-SA

Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Business and Finance Business and finance discussions.

Beware the money you get from some banks ;)

Old 30-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Beware the money you get from some banks ;)

No 'simpler, better, faster' for fake R100

July 28, 2005

By Maureen Marud

Five weeks of silence from Standard Bank after a teller paid him a fake R100 note makes the slogan "simpler, better, faster" look bogus, too, complains Johann Esterhuyzen of Cape Town.

"How can it possibly take so many weeks to investigate a dud note, or is the bank's total silence a sign that they are ignoring the matter?" asked an irate Esterhuyzen.

Standard Bank management has apologised and will refund his money.

Routine procedures the bank had to follow included reporting the matter to the police for investigation and giving the fraudulent note to the South African Reserve Bank, said Standard Bank media manager Erik Larsen this week.

"We would like to apologise for the poor customer service and for the fact that the branch failed to keep Mr Esterhuyzen informed."

Esterhuyzen said he had found the "very good fake" among the notes he had checked in his office after leaving Standard Bank's Thibault Square branch in the CBD last month.

"I started my working life as a bank teller, so have seen forged notes before."

"The one I got that day did not have a watermark, but was such a skillful imitation that I could easily have paid it over to someone else without them noticing anything wrong."

Instead, he had taken it back to the bank.

"I didn't want to give one of my clients a dud note, so I went straight back to the bank, where the teller supervisor took it from me."

His insistence on seeing a manager had produced someone from customer services, who had assured him that the bank would investigate.

"It is now five weeks later and nobody has contacted me yet.

"I have made one follow-up call, which was a waste of time as it produced no results or even information."

Esterhuyzen said he was becoming "more irate" with every week of silence from the bank.

"I am short R100 of the R1 700 cheque I cashed that day, but Standard Bank sees no reason to contact me with even a hint of when, or even if, I can expect to be refunded."

"If they had said they suspected me of trying to con them out of R100, it would have been better than saying nothing."

"Standard Bank claims to offer a service that is simpler, better and faster."

"The way they have dealt with this issue makes me shudder to imagine what in their book passes for murkier, worse and slower."

Larsen said the investigation by the authorities usually decided whether the Reserve Bank would refund the money.

"We accept that a five week delay is unacceptable and have therefore decided to refund Mr Esterhuyzen," said Larsen.

"The branch will be contacting him to apologise and explain the reasons for the delay."

"We would like to assure customers that the issue of fraudulent bank notes is extremely rare as the bank has sophisticated machines that detect these notes."

Esterhuyzen told Argus Action: "I must congratulate senior management of Standard Bank for taking this matter up with the branch and addressing the issue so speedily."
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Pronkertjie
Warm at Heart

Last blog entry: Wed, 2007-08-01 13:50
I once wanted to pay something at Duty Free at Heathrow. A Japanese customer wanted to pay for his stuff, and they didn't want to except his £20 notes, which he just got from the ATM. He was so shocked/surprised!

He kept on saying that he just withdraw the money.

Is portable money scanners something for the future?
Pronkertjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
sooibrand
HotStuff

I know of at least one store in this town that scans notes all the time (is the bottle store). And why do banks insist in stocking atm's with £20 notes when they know these are the most forged and not accepted by a lot of small businesses?
sooibrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronkertjie
I once wanted to pay something at Duty Free at Heathrow. A Japanese customer wanted to pay for his stuff, and they didn't want to except his £20 notes, which he just got from the ATM. He was so shocked/surprised!

He kept on saying that he just withdraw the money.

Is portable money scanners something for the future?
We use a pen to "trace" counterfeit money and never accept anything more than a £20 note

:cheeky:
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Pronkertjie
Warm at Heart

Last blog entry: Wed, 2007-08-01 13:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
We use a pen to "trace" counterfeit money and never accept anything more than a £20 note

:cheeky:

ah haa....
Pronkertjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Jangar
The Great Dane Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooibrand
I know of at least one store in this town that scans notes all the time (is the bottle store). And why do banks insist in stocking atm's with £20 notes when they know these are the most forged and not accepted by a lot of small businesses?
Most stores here scan the larger notes, Aldi is the only one that uses the "pen" though. Most us UV light / watermark light though.

Joan how does the pen work ? No need for specifics but just a generalisation wouldf be welcome... It appears to be invisible, so does it show colour on a wrong type of paper ?

As for the "larger" notes, isn't there a statement on the note "I promise to pay the bearer..." type thingie ??? In which case they cannot refuse it....

The customer (in SA) can refuse to accept change in the smaller denominations (coins) however (provided that he / she can prove that there are larger 'notes' in the till )
Jangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
Joan
Walk on By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangar
Most stores here scan the larger notes, Aldi is the only one that uses the "pen" though. Most us UV light / watermark light though.

Joan how does the pen work ? No need for specifics but just a generalisation wouldf be welcome... It appears to be invisible, so does it show colour on a wrong type of paper ?

As for the "larger" notes, isn't there a statement on the note "I promise to pay the bearer..." type thingie ??? In which case they cannot refuse it....

The customer (in SA) can refuse to accept change in the smaller denominations (coins) however (provided that he / she can prove that there are larger 'notes' in the till )
Jan, if the note is a fake, there will be a black mark or line.....

I do not know about the "promise" on the larger notes............. sounds more like a cheque to me that!!
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
Jangar
The Great Dane Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
Jan, if the note is a fake, there will be a black mark or line.....

I do not know about the "promise" on the larger notes............. sounds more like a cheque to me that!!
Thanx

I was referring to the old SAffer notes that said that they would pay the bearer of the note the equivilant in gold or goods or something like that... Which is why the thickness of the gold thread in the notes varies... (Don't feel like digging them out to check the statement at the moment though)
Jangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
sooibrand
HotStuff

Now you have made me go and look - nope - no promise on my R50 note just now noticed that it says - South African Reserve Bank on one side and on the other
iBhanki enguVimba yo Mzantsi Afrika
Bannga ya Vhukati ya Afurika Tshimpembe
sooibrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance