GlobalBuzz-SA

Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Business and Finance Business and finance discussions.

Inheritance across the borders

Old 18-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
emma

Inheritance across the borders

Can someone tell me if there is a restriction on inheritance money (amount)taken out from SA and being transfered to another country?
(Not sure if this is the correct forum...)
emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Exchange Control Guidelines - Legacies

There are two types of estates that foreign exchange controls apply to:

Estates of persons regarded as permanent residents of the Republic of South Africa at the time of death
Estates of persons resident outside South Africa (including emigrants) at the time of death

Estates of persons regarded as permanent residents of the Republic of South Africa at the time of death

Legacy transfers

Cash bequests and the cash proceeds of legacies and distributions from such estates due to beneficiaries permanently resident outside South Africa, including emigrants, may be remitted abroad.

Export of jewellery

FNB is able to assist in the attestation of Forms NEP covering the export of jewellery, including articles of gold jewellery, inherited by non-residents, including emigrants, from deceased estates in the Republic, provided documentary evidence is produced to show that the articles to be exported were bequeathed to the beneficiary in terms of the deceased's will or in terms of the Liquidation and Distribution Account approved by the Master of the Supreme Court.

Export of personal effects

Provided FNB is satisfied that the items to be exported were inherited on the basis indicated in the preceding paragraph, we are able to attest a Form NEP covering the export of effects of a purely personal nature, such as clothing and household effects.

Export of other assets

In order to export other assets it is necessary to apply to the Exchange Control authorities, which would in normal circumstances and provided the values are reasonable, permit the export of such goods.

Note: Emigrants will only be entitled to receive their inheritance abroad if they have been formally designated as non-residents prior to the death of the party concerned. If residential designation took place after the party's death, the inheritance is blocked and regarded as "emigrants blocked assets".

Any distribution due to a non-resident derived from a Life Policy or similar will require approval from the Exchange Control authorities before it may be remitted abroad, since policies do not normally appear on the final liquidation and distribution account.

South African estates of persons, including emigrants, domiciled outside South Africa at the time of death

Legacy transfers

Cash bequests and the full cash proceeds of legacies and distributions from such estates due to beneficiaries who are permanently resident outside South Africa (including emigrants) may be remitted abroad.

Export of jewellery and personal effects

The export to non-resident beneficiaries of jewellery and personal effects may be dealt with on the same basis as indicated under distributions from estates of persons who at the time of death were regarded as permanent residents of South Africa.

Note: Any distribution due to a non-resident derived from a Life Policy or similar will/would require prior approval from the Exchange Control authorities before it may be remitted abroad, since policies do not normally appear on the final liquidation and distribution account
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
emma

Thanks. Appreciate it.
emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #4
alwayssmilin
Cheerful Charlie

Money transferred

Very interesting, another question, a SA friend of mine had some money transferred to the UK by her uncle. Apparently this is money she inherited quite a bit as I can make out, the Receiver of revenue have now sent her forms to fill in within 7 days. Not sure what this is all about, she has been living here for 7 years and no longer resident in S.A. What to do now is this the norm.
alwayssmilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
mcamp999
Bluebird Insured Speed

Last blog entry: Mon, 2010-08-30 08:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssmilin
Very interesting, another question, a SA friend of mine had some money transferred to the UK by her uncle. Apparently this is money she inherited quite a bit as I can make out, the Receiver of revenue have now sent her forms to fill in within 7 days. Not sure what this is all about, she has been living here for 7 years and no longer resident in S.A. What to do now is this the norm.
Inheritance tax is usually paid in the country of ones birth or ones fathers birth. It is a technical term called domiciled or deemed domiciled. Therefore it is very possible that tax might still have to be paid on the money anyway. I suggest she take advice about this before filling in the forms.

I might be able to assist if given more details about the money, i.e. was it a gift and how long ago was the gift made.

Some info here http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/iht18.pdf
http://www.btimes.co.za/97/0706/btmoney/money8.htm
mcamp999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance