GlobalBuzz-SA

Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Business and Finance Business and finance discussions.

The stock market

Old 08-03-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
dudette
NationalVelvet

The stock market

I am becoming more and more interested in buying some shares on the stock market and trying my luck... Do any of you have any shares? do you have any advice you could share regarding the minefield of buying and selling shares? What is the biggest profit/loss you've ever made on the stock market?

Considering that the profits one gets from up to £7000 is tax free in a Stocks and shares ISA, why not?
dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Ray
Type of Ray

If you are interested in a flutter : then , YES !!!

As long as you bear in mind constantly that with any , even highest-regarded share , absolutely Anything can/does happen , at any times , totally outside your control ; as a newcomer to the game , you'd in any case probably be re-active , rather than pro-active...?
Look into some of recent histories of such , supposedly : infallible , stocks like Berkshire Hathaway , Microsoft , Oracle , Cisco , Nokia , Intel , General Motors , Ford , Google... e.g. if you had bought Google 3-4 weeks ago at over 400 , when everyone was predicting the X-mas price of 600+ , then a tax break is not much good to you , now that they are only 350-odd...and might yet go all the way back to 160-180...
You might consider some managed unit trusts instead , although about 80% of those available to you inside ISA in UK market , are mostly all overpriced valueless rubbish , ripped-off by funds' "managers"...
Or , have a look at the Global Dividend Fund from Platinum Group , up 4% for Jan and 4% for Feb 2006 ? Or GAM's IP-220 or Abacus I.o.M. TEP and TEP2 funds , or Premier Group's Diversified Property Fund ...
Good Luck ( you'll need tons of it ! )
or as they'd say in wet & grey streets of Bru : Bonne Chance et Bon Courage!
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Ade
Blazed in Cape Green

A good place to start is an Index Tracker.
You can choose which index you wish to track but it has a balanced risk with minimal management charges.
I always regard a Unit Trust as a vehicle whereby you pay somebody to lose your money for you (as I have!)
Have a browse here http://www.fool.co.uk, particularly the Personal Finance Guides.
Many companies offer an Index Tracker within an ISA, I've got a couple, with Scottish Widows and M&G. One with the FT100 and another the FT250 (i.e. the top 250 companies just outside the top 100)
A good tracker is not the one that performed the best, but the one that closely tracks the index (they only tend to choose a subset of the index you are tracking), and also comes with the lowest management charges (m&g initial charge 0, annual charge of 0.3%)
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Ade
Blazed in Cape Green

Something I have used for buying individual shares is the Halifax Sharebuilder.

You choose your shares, but the purchase takes time on a specific date - you choose from one of their fixed dates (I think there are 4 each month)

The benefits from this system is very low dealing charges, £1.50 per deal, so it doesn't cost you a fortune to experiment.

Read all about it here
http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealin...ebuilder.shtml
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Ray
Type of Ray

For what it's worth :

a ) various respected stats and analyses show in fine detail ,
the over 20 , 30 and 50 years' periods ,
stocks/shares/equity investments have only barely i.e.
if at all ( caveat )
outperformed other investment formats / vehicles .
b ) the slowdown , lasting at least 3-4 years is generally expected , from now on , in most westen markets ( poss. excl Eastern Europe ? );
c ) have you factored the effect of Yankee-warmongering vs. Iran right now , into the Bourses and Indexes ( bearing in mind , as always , just how many companies today are , or are trying to be : "global players" )???
P.S. Old wives' sayings :
1 ) a fool and their money are soon parted ;
2 ) ( only ) if the cap fits , wear it!?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
dudette
NationalVelvet

Thank you, Ray and Ade ... your advice is most appreciated

I understand companies issue dividends to their shareholders ... does this also apply to unit trusts?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
dudette
NationalVelvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
a ) various respected stats and analyses show in fine detail ,
the over 20 , 30 and 50 years' periods ,
stocks/shares/equity investments have only barely i.e.
if at all ( caveat )
outperformed other investment formats / vehicles .
b ) the slowdown , lasting at least 3-4 years is generally expected , from now on , in most westen markets ( poss. excl Eastern Europe ? );
c ) have you factored the effect of Yankee-warmongering vs. Iran right now , into the Bourses and Indexes ( bearing in mind , as always , just how many companies today are , or are trying to be : "global players" )???
P.S. Old wives' sayings :
1 ) a fool and their money are soon parted ;
2 ) ( only ) if the cap fits , wear it!?
Pretty much how my thinking is going,... Also, relating to your previous point ... are there only limited companies you are allowed to invest in if one goes the ISA route?
Old 09-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Ray
Type of Ray

As far as I know : any quoted securities ...

...as described in ISA literature , which your multi-billion-profits'-declaring Bank ( where/who from ? ) should have ample/plenty of , to hand you ...
( so very , very good , with distributing pamphlets and brochures , for just about anything : the Brits really are ! )

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Business and Finance