GlobalBuzz-SA
 

Home FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration > Immigration
Forums Info Vids Flight Bookings News Feeds Cape Town KZN
Follow GlobalBuzz SA on Twitter  
Immigration Immigration and Matters related


what kind of visa for a relative?????


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
southeaster
Guest
 
southeaster's Avatar
 
what kind of visa for a relative?????

Morning all,
Please could somebody assist with a bit of info.
My sister is wishing to come to the UK (isle of Man to be precise),
She holds an SA passport.

I have a british passport by means of marriage/naturalisation.

Would there be any chance that we could get her here as a relative.
Or would she have to go with the original plan of a work/hol visa and then later make some alternative applications once she is here if she wants to stay. or could we go with a holiday only visa and then apply for something else when she is here.

Thanks in advance for any potential help. We have rattled our brains for days and have got no-where. some fresh input would mean the world.
SE
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
kimbo
Senior Member
 
kimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeaster
Morning all,
Please could somebody assist with a bit of info.
My sister is wishing to come to the UK (isle of Man to be precise),
She holds an SA passport.

I have a british passport by means of marriage/naturalisation.

Would there be any chance that we could get her here as a relative.
Or would she have to go with the original plan of a work/hol visa and then later make some alternative applications once she is here if she wants to stay. or could we go with a holiday only visa and then apply for something else when she is here.

Thanks in advance for any potential help. We have rattled our brains for days and have got no-where. some fresh input would mean the world.
SE

As far as I am aware, unless there are compelling compassionate circumstances and you can prove that she is totally dependent on you, that her living circumstances are sub-humand, etc etc, you cannot get her here as a relative. There was recently a case of a SA 18 year old who's mother was a British Citizen - she was going to be deported even though her whole family was here! They managed to get ILR only after petitioning Downing Street etc.

She would have to get the holiday visa. Even then, if she is in a position which may warrant a work permit, she would have to return to SA to obtain clearance from there, as you cannot switch.

I stand to be corrected on this.
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
John01
Senior Member
 
John01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hampshire
Hi Southeaster,

Unfortunately, your British Nationality will not help your sister. Are any of your Grandparents born in the UK?
Is there any other EU ancestry in your family? (i.e. Irish citizenship is available to those with grandparents born in Southern or Northern Ireland.
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
southeaster
Guest
 
southeaster's Avatar
 
Morning,
thanks for the replies. Well it looks like thats a bit of a dead end then.
I am not sure about ancestry.

Not entirely sure about grandmother on Fathers side of family. Will have to check.
Have given her a letter to state that she will be living with us and that she has a job to come to. We are in the fortunate position of being self -employed.
Its just a case of choosing the right visa now ( once her passports comes through -- which will be who knows how long after the paper headlines of "SA runs out of passports" )
Thanks all
SE
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #5
southeaster
Guest
 
southeaster's Avatar
 
Morning,

just had a thought ( which is quite a scary experience)!!!
Something at the back of my mind says that one of the G-Parents was born in the old Rhodesia. Was that not a Uk dependant country? Or am I clutching at straws here.

SE
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
lols
Admirer of Red
 
lols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Poole, Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeaster
Morning,

just had a thought ( which is quite a scary experience)!!!
Something at the back of my mind says that one of the G-Parents was born in the old Rhodesia. Was that not a Uk dependant country? Or am I clutching at straws here.

SE
Unfortunatly even though Rhodesia was part of the UK, and people living there were issued with British Passports which state Southern Rhodesia they are cannot be used. I have tried this route for my mom!
lols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Cheffie
Max Morley
 
Cheffie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeaster
Have given her a letter to state that she will be living with us and that she has a job to come to.
If she is coming over on a tourist visa, they'll turn her back with that letter.

Look into sponsorship or getting her a work permit and a letter like that will be accepted at customs.
Cheffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:44 PM   #8
southeaster
Guest
 
southeaster's Avatar
 
are they not a bit sticky on the work permits though cos she is not really qualified as much expcept as a bar person, which is not considered high priority.
if she comes over sponsored does it not have to be for a skilled job


SE
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
John01
Senior Member
 
John01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lols
Unfortunatly even though Rhodesia was part of the UK, and people living there were issued with British Passports which state Southern Rhodesia they are cannot be used. I have tried this route for my mom!
lols, did you succeed with bringing your mom here?
Firstly, you would be amazed to know how complex old commonwealth citizenship applications can be. Often, it requires a time trace line to match events with dates to determine. Consulates often get it wrong. (and there are special rules for Rhodesia, esp. around Ian Smith's time.

Secondly there are EU rules that give strong rights to EU citizens who wish to be joined by an ascending maternal or paternal parent.
John01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
lols
Admirer of Red
 
lols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Poole, Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by John01
lols, did you succeed with bringing your mom here?
Firstly, you would be amazed to know how complex old commonwealth citizenship applications can be. Often, it requires a time trace line to match events with dates to determine. Consulates often get it wrong. (and there are special rules for Rhodesia, esp. around Ian Smith's time.

Secondly there are EU rules that give strong rights to EU citizens who wish to be joined by an ascending maternal or paternal parent.
Unfortunatly John when we looked into it and spoke to the British High Commisson in SA a few years ago they said it would not be possible. She did show them her "British Passport". Do you know what this process is and would it be worth while looking into it! I do know that she could go down the ancestral route but there are complications and age unfortunatly is against her.
lols is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back  GlobalBuzz-SA > Travel and Immigration > Immigration


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2007 - 2016 GlobalBuzz Southern Africa All Rights Reserved