Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blasphemy on Easter Friday
picanin Wrote:Christians only have themselves to blame as they allow this sort of treatment. But then again the last time I said as ridiculed by the same believers who now take umbrage at a blasphemous TV program. Maybe if more Christians got off there bums and actually defended their faith - just like the Jews and Moslems do - then there would be far more respect for the faith.

Hi Pic

Jong, jy praat nou sommer twak! Smile

Should a Christian stand on a little soap box shouting out loud defending our believe.... oh boy, the other voices - in any form of media coverage - shout louder.

:daisy:
Pronks en Die Tannie Big Grin ................ I am not saying that you need to go and start a holy war like other groups would do when faced with blasphemy nor am I advocating violence etc. What I am saying is that Christians need to openly defend their religion or have it relegated to the status of a loony cult. The reason why noobdy ridicules Moslems or Jews as much is becasue they are quick to defend their religion. Christians by comparison turn the other way and allow this sort of ridicule to occur. Pronks I am not saying go stand on a soap box. A single voice will be drowned out. However Christianity does not consist of only one or two people. Large groups of people defending their faith will be heard.

Turning the other cheek constantly will only result in further ridicule and derision being heaped upon Christianity.

PS Tannie ek sal jou bel in'ie week!
picanin Wrote:Pronks en Die Tannie Big Grin ................ I am not saying that you need to go and start a holy war like other groups would do when faced with blasphemy nor am I advocating violence etc. What I am saying is that Christians need to openly defend their religion or have it relegated to the status of a loony cult. The reason why noobdy ridicules Moslems or Jews as much is becasue they are quick to defend their religion. Christians by comparison turn the other way and allow this sort of ridicule to occur. Pronks I am not saying go stand on a soap box. A single voice will be drowned out. However Christianity does not consist of only one or two people. Large groups of people defending their faith will be heard.

Turning the other cheek constantly will only result in further ridicule and derision being heaped upon Christianity.

PS Tannie ek sal jou bel in'ie week!
picanin, other faiths NEED to have their soapboxes to defend their faith(s)...
I think what Pronks and I are trying to say is that one lives by example and turn the other cheek, not the other way, we do NOT ignore it when our faith is being ridiculed, but I see no need in getting on my soap box. I know what I believe, I can only quote an ex-V'sekker.......if you ( of no or other faith) are right, NO WORRIES, but if I am right,then BE VERY WORRIED indeed.
Looking forward to your call pica.

Confusedunny:
I have to agree that I think it's disgusting that something like that is shown on TV. But then again, I was very unimpressed that on Good Friday, most of the shops in our town were open. It was like a normal shopping day. And yesterday on Easter Sunday, again, the Co-op and the Spar and our corner shop = all open.

I watched the EAster Service on TV yesterday from Leeds. Most of the congregation were elderly and in this huge church, not that many folk (even though it was being broadcast). and I think therein lies some of the problem... it's 'cool' not to be religious at the moment - for the youngsters. It's my generation that's the problem - the 30-somethings, who are not teaching their children about Christianity. Obviously not tarring all with same brush.

oooh I had some other points to make, but am losing my marbles, forgotten them all and I'm sure what I have posted doesnt' make sense. oooh I make myself sooooo angry! lol sorry!
In love there are two things - bodies and words.
Cali Wrote:I have to agree that I think it's disgusting that something like that is shown on TV. But then again, I was very unimpressed that on Good Friday, most of the shops in our town were open. It was like a normal shopping day. And yesterday on Easter Sunday, again, the Co-op and the Spar and our corner shop = all open.

I watched the EAster Service on TV yesterday from Leeds. Most of the congregation were elderly and in this huge church, not that many folk (even though it was being broadcast). and I think therein lies some of the problem... it's 'cool' not to be religious at the moment - for the youngsters. It's my generation that's the problem - the 30-somethings, who are not teaching their children about Christianity. Obviously not tarring all with same brush.

oooh I had some other points to make, but am losing my marbles, forgotten them all and I'm sure what I have posted doesnt' make sense. oooh I make myself sooooo angry! lol sorry!
What you are saying is making a lot of sense Cali, it seems very "uncool" to be a Christian nowadays............. but then, it was the same in the time when Christ walked this earth...that is why Pilate had him crucified ( well not Pilate on his own, but you know , I hope, what I mean...)

We had a lovely Easter Sunday service and for a change there were quite a lot of children in church... not just oldies with walking sticks and grey hair....
In Hastings we have a church called Kings Church... it's got such a young feel to it. ANd totally caters for the youngsters. But I must commend my son's school. They have a Moslem lady who does R.I with the children (my son's class that I know of) and she gives them insight on ALL religions. As a result, Connor is so 'into' (not quite the right word but I hope you know what I mean) learning about the Bible, I didn't think he would be able to sit through a service but he is so interested that so far, he is doing very well.
Cali Wrote:In Hastings we have a church called Kings Church... it's got such a young feel to it. ANd totally caters for the youngsters. But I must commend my son's school. They have a Moslem lady who does R.I with the children (my son's class that I know of) and she gives them insight on ALL religions. As a result, Connor is so 'into' (not quite the right word but I hope you know what I mean) learning about the Bible, I didn't think he would be able to sit through a service but he is so interested that so far, he is doing very well.

Cali... it might be worth it getting him an illustrated childrens Bible.

Smile
He has my illustrated children's Bible from when I was a child. It's a great book. Got it when I was about 7 or 8 and I think I know most of it off by heart now... which is handy for reading it to Connor now as he hogs it for the pictures! Big Grin
Cali Wrote:He has my illustrated children's Bible from when I was a child. It's a great book. Got it when I was about 7 or 8 and I think I know most of it off by heart now... which is handy for reading it to Connor now as he hogs it for the pictures! Big Grin

The picturers are so important Smile

They have lovely christian childrens books these days.
Joan

The churches here are packed with youth. In fact their numbers are so large they have their own evening service. MIC were here to perform praise and worship and it might have been a night club scene Big Grin lots of dancing and the stuff the youngsters love to do. They are free to praise and worship however they feel the spirit leads them. They most certainly do not feel un-cool and it is awesome to be in their midst once the music starts Confusedunny:

Joan Wrote:What you are saying is making a lot of sense Cali, it seems very "uncool" to be a Christian nowadays............. but then, it was the same in the time when Christ walked this earth...that is why Pilate had him crucified ( well not Pilate on his own, but you know , I hope, what I mean...)

We had a lovely Easter Sunday service and for a change there were quite a lot of children in church... not just oldies with walking sticks and grey hair....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Good Friday really matter? Pronkertjie 0 3,420 17-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Pronkertjie